Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What iron do you use when sewing?

What iron do you use when sewing?

I was looking at the Rowenta DA 1560 on sale at Joann for $27.99. What do you think?? I had a little no name travel iron that just went cold! Looking for a small, utility type iron . Suggestions?

My Rowenta has a cord issue at the moment - the swivel part seems to have a loose wire so is only on sporadically. Normally I would use that for sewing but I also have another full size relatively high dollar iron that I am currently using. I generally prefer a full size iron vs the travel or mini sized irons. I've used both of those types but my preference is full size. I also really like Rowentas in general. My only advise with them is to read the instructions as to type of water to use with them. Some are designed to be used with tap water and others with distilled. I find that if you use the directed type water with them, generally you don't have many of the issues that some folks seem to have with them.

I have two Rowentas - one in each house. I love them both but I don't put water in them. I much prefer to use a spray bottle of water and that's good since I have heard that Rowentas have leaking issues. But I love how hot they get and I wasn't happy with others I've tried.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I use the cheapest one that Walmart has on sale. I tend to knock irons to the floor, and have discovered that's not good for them. It works just fine - until I knock it over.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I use a Rowenta Pro Master but it is big and heavy, not a travel iron.. But it gives huge amounts of steam and works great

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I got so tired of the name brand expensive irons having problems over the years that I now buy the cheapest shiny bottomed, steam iron from Walmart -- usually around $20 +/- -- and throw the dang out when it begins to sputter or give me other issues.

I started out with 2 to have a backup, and when 1 died, I went right out and bought another. Now there's always an extra on the shelf; I just won't put up with that frustration of having no iron in the middle of needing one -- usually after 10 at night or on Sunday evening!
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

I have that iron, I bought it a few years ago when it was on sale at Joanns. I love it. I put it on an ironing pad next to my sewing machine and iron as I sew. It works great, it gets plenty hot enough to do a good job, I really like the fact it can hold water for steam ironing. I've never had a problem with it falling off the table. I would recommend it. And that's a great price.
    Thought for EVERY Day: You know all those things you've always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Blog Entries
    I use a 2nd hand General Electric I bought in a yard sale 45 yrs ago. I put a new cloth cord on it a few yrs ago. She is heavy. She goes back to before the 'steam' feature' was invented. I did have a Rowenta for a very short time= 2-3 hrs after taking it out of the box. I went in to make a cup of tea when I got back my ironing board cover was on fire along with the iron. It was not on... I plugged it into the wall as I was leaving the room. JoAnn's made good on the iron and the cover. I think I will continue using Gertie.She's never let me down.

Blog Entries
    I have a Black and Decker that I paid $12.97 on sale at Walgreen's. I love it. It was cheap, it works just as good as the expensive ones. It does automatically turn off, but it buzzes first and lets me know and I can either let it turn off or correct it. It is on my sewing table or ironing board ALL THE TIME! It matches the carpet and wallpaper (Teal) - always fashion forward, you see. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

I have a Rowenta that I paid about $40 from Bed Bath & Beyond. I don't think it's that model, but it's mediocre at best. I have to have it on high to iron everything! When it stops working (which I am sure is in the not too distant future), I think I'll try another brand.

Blog Entries
    Interesting thread. I thought I was the only one who was tired of buying expensive irons only to find that don't last. I also use the cheapest iron from Walmart. I NEVER put water in them. I use a spray bottle. When the iron starts to get yucky I have not guilt tossing it out.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Just pitched my iron I got at a shower back in 1971. It spit and sputtered brown and black after I turned it on (luckily I just turned my back) and it was sitting on my iron rest. Flames started shooting out of it. I unplugged it and threw a wet towel on it. The silicone rest never flamed. Keeping it. Bought a Sunbeam right after that couple years ago. Saw a smaller iron for $15.00 at dollar store. it's light weight and gets really hot. I use water from spray bottle and sometimes use a damp cloth and press jwith my hands over the fabric. It's effective. I like using the smaller iron for piecing and the larger iron for pressing the yardage.

I have a Rowenta but have recently caught the edge of some Wonder Under. I THINK I got all of the gunk off...will see the next time that I press something.
    I would love one of those Olisopro irons (like the one that Jenny Doan uses) but they cost $200. Even with a 50% off coupon at Joanne's,,,that's a bit pricey for an iron. Wonder if they would be a better price on Black Friday???

Me too. Til my husband went out and picked up one that was on Sale for $80.

He found an Olisopro (sp?) for $80?? WHERE??? or are you answering someone else?

Blog Entries
    Me too, and if it breaks in a couple of years, there are more at the store!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

I use a Large German made Rowenta at home and use the little travel Rowenta for classes. I don't put water in either of them. I just have a spray bottle on my board.

I have one Rowenta, which I love, one Black and Decker, which is wonderful and one Proctor Silex that I use when I am pressing something that might leave sticky residue. All three are good irons for the purposes for which I use them.The Proctor Silex does not have automatic off and I just discovered that it has been sitting on the ironing mat burning up electricity for several days. I really like automatic off, although many people on the board do not. If I were you, I would go to WalMart and compare heft and features. froggyintexas

I had a Rowenta but gave it to the GW. It leaked and was made in Germany. Now I have a Shark I got at Walmart for general ironing of pants and shirts, etc. I have a small travel iron named Perfection and the handle folds down. I bought at local thrift shop for $3.00. It sits on a silicone pad on a shelf under my pressing area. I use it as I piece. It's better than any of the expensive and less expensive ones I have bought. From now on, when an iron dies, I'm off to find the cheapest one I can...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I got a Shark. Automatic shut-off but it reheats quickly. My irons seem to last about 2 years or so.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
    I use the cheapest one that Walmart has on sale. I tend to knock irons to the floor, and have discovered that's not good for them. It works just fine - until I knock it over.
    I use the same ones, but I found a silicone iron shaped pad that I just put the cooling iron on face down, and now it doesn't get knocked over any more.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

Don't buy Rowenta made in China. I have three Rowenta irons and they are all good ones. Don't leak, and all three were made in Germany.

I have had 2 Rowenta iron and both of them leaked and sputtered. No more for me especially after reading on this board how many catch on fire.

I had a Rowenta that literally smoked -- it set off the smoke detectors. I replaced it with a Panasonic and it has been great (so far)
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I also use a cheap one from Walmart..and it does the trick and as the others mentioned , "no quilt tossing it and getting a new one when it dies"
    Also use the little Clover teeny-tiny one for paper piecing and what a charmer!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast