Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: What iron do you use when sewing?

THANKS everyone for your insights on ironing!! I believe I'm off to find a cheapie! & use the rest of my savings
    FOR FABRIC!

Quote Originally Posted by Ellageo View Post
    I was looking at the Rowenta DA 1560 on sale at Joann for $27.99. What do you think?? I had a little no name travel iron that just went cold! Looking for a small, utility type iron . Suggestions?

I bought a T-Fal with a ceramic plate. It does not overheat my piecing. Am now looking to perfect this idea by buying a wooden ironing board. Was told that you don't know the difference that no steam and a wooden board can make til you try it. So thinking I'll try it. I love my iron!! Got it at KMart. Only place I've ever seen one. It cost about $50.

I love that little Rowenta iron. It's perfect to sit on my small ironing surface when I am doing paper piecing. I don't like the fact that it doesn't have an on/off switch. I've solve that by plugging it into a multi-plug with an on/off switch. It gets hot super fast and is small enough to use on an 12 x 18 surface. If I am ironing big things I go back to one of my big irons. For those, the cheaper the better, as long as it gets hot. The one I'm using now cost less than $10 at WM about 10 years ago.

Edited to add: If I am piecing or ironing 100% cotton, I always use the hottest setting. I am careful not to leave the iron on the fabric and to only use 100% cotton thread. I gave up putting water in any of my irons a long time ago due to several over the years spitting out blackish, rusty looking stuff that couldn't be removed from the fabric it spit on.

Happy Quilting!
    Last edited by Barb in Louisiana; 10-01-2014 at 06:11 AM.
    Sew a Little, Love a Lot & Live like you were dying!

I too use the cheapies. If they start to give me trouble they go into the recycle bin. A good place to look for cheapies is in thrift and consignment shops. Asking to check if they leak/sputter/don't heat is not atrocious and the really good thrift/consignments will help you do it.

Oh, and the Rowenta I bought, it wound up in the trash. The customer service rep told me about the "made in China" issue and then confided that the "real" Rowentas were made in Germany. Problem of leaking irons was known but Rowenta made no effort to fix it. And we should buy what from a company with that attitude? Yikes.

Anyway, enjoy today.

Pat

I have a Rowenta with the separate water tank. Pricey but have had it for years and love it

I have one, but it was 'put away' when company came and never came back to the ironing board.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

My ironing station is set up kind of like a desk in my living room. It has a wide, formica clad shelf on top of it, which I covered with two large, old bath towels and a piece of striped upholstery fabric that I got at Walmart. That sits on two bedside tables that weren't getting any use in the guest bedroom. It's a great set up for me, as my need to sit while I iron is becoming more obvious to me.

The point of all that nonsense above is that the surface is flat, and, as you said, it makes a big difference.

And when the grands are here, the iron gets put away and it becomes a computer table.
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by sailsablazin View Post
    I have a Rowenta but have recently caught the edge of some Wonder Under. I THINK I got all of the gunk off...will see the next time that I press something.
    I would love one of those Olisopro irons (like the one that Jenny Doan uses) but they cost $200. Even with a 50% off coupon at Joanne's,,,that's a bit pricey for an iron. Wonder if they would be a better price on Black Friday???
    I bought an Oliso iron. Most expensive iron I have ever had. It started leaking like a sieve after a couple of months and didn't get hot enough to iron anything but synthetics. I sent the company an email telling them that I was using a $29 steam iron from Walmart when I had planned on using my Oliso and I was very disappointed. They sent me a new Oliso, next model up and a letter of apology. That Oliso lasted about 4 months before it started leaking all over the ironing board and the fabric I was ironing. I give up! I'm using a cheap iron again and it is working great. It has already outlasted both of the Oliso irons. I love the Oliso auto-lift concept . . . Now if they could just fix the leaks!

I have a yellow Olisio and save your money! It is very heavy, only raises off the ironing board when in the mood to. Nothing I would ever buy again or recommend. I bought it new on Ebay for 50.00, what a waste of money!
    Michelle Guadarrama

I bought 2 Sharks several months ago and I put Square Trade on them for 3 years. My other 2 irons both started to leak and spit water. I had also put Square Trade on them and I was refunded the full purchase price of the 2 irons that failed after I filed a claim. I found the Square Trade Insurance was worth getting.

I just bought mine at Costco about 6 months ago, a Rowenta Master 1750. LOVE IT !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2