Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What kind of climate is this?? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-kind-climate-t173327.html)

p 12-29-2011 08:13 AM

Virginia has mild winters for the most part, I have green onions growing now. I moved here 2 years ago and absolutely love it, a nice change from Missouri. p

BuzzinBumble 12-29-2011 08:16 AM

We live just north of Buffalo and are surprised by the weather this year too. Do you remember about 14 years ago when it was so warm in January that people were outside barbecuing and the violas were blooming?

We used to dream of moving to the Portland, Oregon area. Parts of the Pacific Northwest enjoy mild winters but not too hot summers. But then you get a lot more rain and fog. But being a gardener, you might not appreciate the slug invasions. Really every area has something to get used to... I love NY and it's four seasons!

JoanneS 12-29-2011 10:16 AM

I'm in Tucson, and it is FINALLY warming up to 70 after several weeks of cold - I mean freezing at night, and maybe as high as 50 during the day. I'm a 'snowbird' - spend the winter here and the rest of the year in Connecticut. I left CT a few weeks after a freak storm put several inches of snow on our trees when they still had leaves - devastation! We lost 1-2/3 trees and a lot of major branches from 100+ year old maples. Then it warmed up, and we left for the warmer clime of AZ. Go figure. I've been wearing out the few wool things I have here - LOL.

carolynjo 12-29-2011 12:34 PM

I am harvesting kale, collards, and turnips right now. This winter has been strange. Very mild here. I will hate it when really cold weather comes.

jarenie 12-29-2011 02:24 PM

Not Las Vegas. The winters are mild but o the HOT summers.

jayelee 12-29-2011 02:52 PM

We live the other side of Watertown NY about 13 miles south of Kingston Canada and I picked sage out of my herb garden on Friday Haven't ever done that it should be covered in several inches if not feet of snow. We are confused

katigirl 12-30-2011 01:21 AM

Yeah, if only we could keep it this way. Snow came instead, yuck.

golfer 12-30-2011 02:40 PM

You would probably have to go to Florida, although my family have been telling me it has been 46 degrees in Clearwater on some mornings but warming up to the 70's. I live in Maryland and have saved my parsley plant by putting a plastic bag over it and am able to cut fresh parsley for recipes.

QUILTNMO 12-30-2011 04:26 PM

i cant beleive it was 63 here today this time last year we had 7 inch. of snow so weird all over the country

SusieQ54 01-02-2012 12:13 AM

We're Getting Back to Seasonal Weather in Michigan

I live in SW Michigan and by this time of the year we average 30 inches of snow. So far we've only had 3" of snow. I love it and hope the rest of the winter stays this mild, but know it's probably not to be. We've had a few winters start out snowless until January, but unfortunately it makes up for it during January. It's weird, we get more total snow in winters that start with below normal snowfall . . . go figure. We got our second snowfall of winter today, and it looks as though the mild weather is gone as 3-4" of snow has fallen with more expected tomorrow. Oh, well, the snowless weather was nice while it lasted!