Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What kind of VELCRO... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-kind-velcro-t269234.html)

Ellageo 08-26-2015 04:29 AM

What kind of VELCRO...

is good for a waist closure? Strong enough? My Dad is having problems buttoning his jeans & wanted a hook closure. After I 'sampled' a pair for him, He suggested maybe Velcro would be better. I was wondering what kind will be strong enough to hold a waist together on a Denim Jean. THANKS!!!

Tartan 08-26-2015 04:41 AM

When I want larger Velcro like fasteners, I check out the auto aisle at my $store. They have black elastic straps for tidying your cords that have about 2 inch by 4 inch heavy duty strips. Walmart has Velcro by the yard but I found the $store stuff is more industrial. You could Google for industrial strength Velcro also.

dd 08-26-2015 04:50 AM

Does he wear a belt too? Not sure I would trust it to hold the waist band. I have seen like a hook and eye closure but the "eye" has 3 different holes to adjust the waistband. I would try Velcro on 1 pair of pants before I did all of them. Velcro does wear out, has to be closed when washed and collects everything that comes even remotely close to it. I would not use the kind with the sticky back to sew on.

Chasing Hawk 08-26-2015 06:28 AM

I agree with DD, use the Velcro without the glue on the back. I buy my Velcro off of eBay in 10 to 25 yard spools. Mainly because I have to replace it on my husband's back brace every so often. As well as Bella and Boko's jackets from frequent washes and doggy hair stuck to it.

jbj137 08-26-2015 06:47 AM

*** I have a pair of shorts with velcro and it holds very well.

ManiacQuilter2 08-26-2015 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by dd (Post 7297915)
Does he wear a belt too? Not sure I would trust it to hold the waist band. I have seen like a hook and eye closure but the "eye" has 3 different holes to adjust the waistband. I would try Velcro on 1 pair of pants before I did all of them. Velcro does wear out, has to be closed when washed and collects everything that comes even remotely close to it. I would not use the kind with the sticky back to sew on.

I agree with what dd says and especially to stay away from the sticky backing Velcro. It can easily gum up your DSM.

Tartan 08-26-2015 09:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what I mean by checking out the $store auto aisle. The black utility straps I take apart for both the thick elastic and the big Velcro. The green reflective arm bands I picked up for the kids for Trick or Treating this year but they have good Velcro too.[ATTACH=CONFIG]528899[/ATTACH]

thimblebug6000 08-26-2015 09:50 AM

If he doesn't have strength in his hands be careful when using velcro as a fastener. I used some on my cords for the hair dryer and I can hardly peel it apart.

Bubbie 08-27-2015 05:38 AM

Velcro will hold very well on pants. Make sure to use the sew in kind (it's a little softer), also make sure to if you think you should only use a small amount - add a little more. I found with my dad he would see himself as one size and I would see him differently. If you you a little longer strips of Velcro, the pants can be pulled tighter or let out a little (after eating). The other reason I made the strip a little longer, was if the Velcro came undone for some reason. It would have a chance to re-hook it's self. On some of my dads work pants (around the house and yard - he didn't want me going to any trouble with work pants), I used the larger black elastic hair bands (the covered ones on the button hole side - you can adjust the loop so your dad will not have any trouble hooking it and to un-hook he only has to pull out with the button hole side). Good luck

Ellageo 08-28-2015 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Bubbie (Post 7299050)
Velcro will hold very well on pants. Make sure to use the sew in kind (it's a little softer), also make sure to if you think you should only use a small amount - add a little more. I found with my dad he would see himself as one size and I would see him differently. If you you a little longer strips of Velcro, the pants can be pulled tighter or let out a little (after eating). The other reason I made the strip a little longer, was if the Velcro came undone for some reason. It would have a chance to re-hook it's self. On some of my dads work pants (around the house and yard - he didn't want me going to any trouble with work pants), I used the larger black elastic hair bands (the covered ones on the button hole side - you can adjust the loop so your dad will not have any trouble hooking it and to un-hook he only has to pull out with the button hole side). Good luck

THANK YOU EVERYONE!! for your insights & advice! I think I will definitely sew in some strong Velcro. I checked 1 $ store, nothing, need to keep checking.(My Dad does have a belly & does like to eat!! LOL! )
I also may try that
'elastic' loop closure!