Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: What kind of VELCRO...

What kind of VELCRO...

is good for a waist closure? Strong enough? My Dad is having problems buttoning his jeans & wanted a hook closure. After I 'sampled' a pair for him, He suggested maybe Velcro would be better. I was wondering what kind will be strong enough to hold a waist together on a Denim Jean. THANKS!!!

Power Poster
    When I want larger Velcro like fasteners, I check out the auto aisle at my $store. They have black elastic straps for tidying your cords that have about 2 inch by 4 inch heavy duty strips. Walmart has Velcro by the yard but I found the $store stuff is more industrial. You could Google for industrial strength Velcro also.

dd
    Does he wear a belt too? Not sure I would trust it to hold the waist band. I have seen like a hook and eye closure but the "eye" has 3 different holes to adjust the waistband. I would try Velcro on 1 pair of pants before I did all of them. Velcro does wear out, has to be closed when washed and collects everything that comes even remotely close to it. I would not use the kind with the sticky back to sew on.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

I agree with DD, use the Velcro without the glue on the back. I buy my Velcro off of eBay in 10 to 25 yard spools. Mainly because I have to replace it on my husband's back brace every so often. As well as Bella and Boko's jackets from frequent washes and doggy hair stuck to it.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Blog Entries
    *** I have a pair of shorts with velcro and it holds very well.
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Quote Originally Posted by dd View Post
    Does he wear a belt too? Not sure I would trust it to hold the waist band. I have seen like a hook and eye closure but the "eye" has 3 different holes to adjust the waistband. I would try Velcro on 1 pair of pants before I did all of them. Velcro does wear out, has to be closed when washed and collects everything that comes even remotely close to it. I would not use the kind with the sticky back to sew on.
    I agree with what dd says and especially to stay away from the sticky backing Velcro. It can easily gum up your DSM.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Power Poster
    This is what I mean by checking out the $store auto aisle. The black utility straps I take apart for both the thick elastic and the big Velcro. The green reflective arm bands I picked up for the kids for Trick or Treating this year but they have good Velcro too.Name:  image.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  202.2 KB

If he doesn't have strength in his hands be careful when using velcro as a fastener. I used some on my cords for the hair dryer and I can hardly peel it apart.

Velcro will hold very well on pants. Make sure to use the sew in kind (it's a little softer), also make sure to if you think you should only use a small amount - add a little more. I found with my dad he would see himself as one size and I would see him differently. If you you a little longer strips of Velcro, the pants can be pulled tighter or let out a little (after eating). The other reason I made the strip a little longer, was if the Velcro came undone for some reason. It would have a chance to re-hook it's self. On some of my dads work pants (around the house and yard - he didn't want me going to any trouble with work pants), I used the larger black elastic hair bands (the covered ones on the button hole side - you can adjust the loop so your dad will not have any trouble hooking it and to un-hook he only has to pull out with the button hole side). Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbie View Post
    Velcro will hold very well on pants. Make sure to use the sew in kind (it's a little softer), also make sure to if you think you should only use a small amount - add a little more. I found with my dad he would see himself as one size and I would see him differently. If you you a little longer strips of Velcro, the pants can be pulled tighter or let out a little (after eating). The other reason I made the strip a little longer, was if the Velcro came undone for some reason. It would have a chance to re-hook it's self. On some of my dads work pants (around the house and yard - he didn't want me going to any trouble with work pants), I used the larger black elastic hair bands (the covered ones on the button hole side - you can adjust the loop so your dad will not have any trouble hooking it and to un-hook he only has to pull out with the button hole side). Good luck
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!! for your insights & advice! I think I will definitely sew in some strong Velcro. I checked 1 $ store, nothing, need to keep checking.(My Dad does have a belly & does like to eat!! LOL! )
    I also may try that
    'elastic' loop closure!