Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Window Cleaner

Window Cleaner

Does anyone have the recipe for window cleaner. I think it has three ingredients. I used it in the spring and it worked great. I used an extended pad to mop the window and then just hosed off. No drying needed. The windows need cleaning again and I can't find the recipe. Thanks

This is an real all purpose cleaner. I've used for windows, floors, even the oven
    2oz Blue Dawn
    4 oz lemon juice
    8 oz white vinegar
    10 oz water
    mix in spray bottle
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

I put about 1" of rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle, dash of dawn and fill with water.

Blog Entries
    Be careful if you are hosing off exterior windows with hard water as it can eventually etch the glass. Rain water is soft and does not have that effect.

Thanks for your help. I'm thinking it had the product you put in dishwashers that makes the water sheet. My brain is tired, can't remember the name! Maybe Dawn, that product, plus vineger and dawn?

this makes a gallon
    3 tablespoons of ammonia
    2 tablespoons of dawn (blue)
    1 bottle of rubbing alcohol (regular size not the large)
    fill the rest of the gallon container with water

Quote Originally Posted by Happystitcher View Post
    Thanks for your help. I'm thinking it had the product you put in dishwashers that makes the water sheet. My brain is tired, can't remember the name! Maybe Dawn, that product, plus vineger and dawn?
    I think that you are right - but I too don't know the formula - the dishwasher additive prevents streaking. Must be somewhere on the internet. Have too search.

Is it Finish rinse Agent?
    Alyce

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Since I no longer use my dishwasher, I still have some dishwashing tabs with Finish. My neighbor cleans windows for aliving. He told me to how to do the outside windows. He gathers rainwater and takes it with him and uses that to clean windows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    Is it Finish rinse Agent?

Jet dry might be what you are thinking of. That goes in the rinse cycle. Vinegar works the same, but I don't know if you can mix a lot of different ingredients together, as it might cause a chemical reaction that you might not want.

Blog Entries
    I use jet dry, blue dawn dish soap, and water.....oops I never measure. just a small bucket of water, and a squirt of soap and a squirt of jet dry.
    fatquarters

Found this - http://www.madefrompinterest.net/magic-clean-windows/ -
    The Magic Way to Clean Your Windows

May 7, 2013 by Tracy 280 Comments
    35K+

How long do you think it should take to clean two full sliding glass doors and 8 large windows? I’m talking about start to finish, sparkling, no streaks no spots, clean? I’ve tried using newspapers (make sure you wear rubber gloves or you will get ink all over your hands and it still leaves streaks). I’ve tried using a professional cleaning tool with the sponge scrubber and squeegee. I still ended up with at least one streak on several windows. I finally decided it was best to ignore the streaks because getting perfectly cleaned windows was an impossibility. Then I found this pin from 33 Barefoot Lane.
    Here is the cleaning solution:
    1/2 gallon warm water

1 Tablespoon liquid ‘Jet Dry’ (You can purchase it HERE.)

2-3 Tablespoons laundry detergent (liquid dissolves easier) or dish washing soap
    Mix all ingredients above. Spray windows down with your hose. Wipe or brush onto windows, then immediately hose off your window. That’s it! You are now done. The remaining water will sheet off. No towel drying is needed.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

LOL, sorry for such a giant post. I have no clue what I did, but most of the 3 ingredient recipes using the Jet dry were this with varying amount of detergent.
    Better to do something imperfectly, than nothing perfectly.
    Done is better than perfect.

I don't have the formula as I really like using "Rain X" found in the automotive section for use on car windows.

Thank you. I am going to try this myself hopefully this week-end