Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What other talents are in your family? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-other-talents-your-family-t91525.html)

Ditter43 01-18-2011 08:09 AM

I come from a musical family. My DM played the guitar like a dream and sang.She could also draw very well! My DF plays the banjo, sings and talks nonstop! My youngest sister sings, plays the accordion and quilts. Another sister is multi talented and seems to be able to do whatever she sets her mind too. She draws and paints beautifully, taught herself to play the piano and has a wonderful singing voice.
I play the guitar, sing and write songs. I also paint, crochet, do upholstery,sew, quilt and can do almost any craft type thing I try.
We were raised with the can do attitude and a strong work ethic. Both have served me well. :-D

dpparris 01-18-2011 08:21 AM

I do counted cross stitch, crochet, and quilt.
My mother quilts.
My dad does woodworking.
My husband best talent is cleaning (Yes he cleans most of the house, the only thing I have to do is laundry and cooking). He is disabled and still does all this to help me.
I am so BLESSED to have this wonderful man.
My sister sings. (I can sing as well, just don't listen, I said I could sing, it's just not beautiful music).

mrs theo 01-18-2011 09:08 AM

My DH is very musical. He sings, plays bass guitar, guitar and piano/keyboards. I have three DD's. One is great with floral arrangments, one is a stamper/scrapbooker. The youngest is into knitting & crocheting and just started scrapbooking. No other quilters yet :)

samifel 01-18-2011 09:28 AM

I guess most of my family has talent in some area or another, but I think the most surprising talent is my 13 year old granddaughter....she can sing like an angel. You see we are a family of people who "can't carry a tune in a bucket". I tried out of choir in high school and was told there was room in the band. My cheerleading coach told me not to sing out loud.... So we are all amazed and after checking DNA (LOL) we feel very much in awe of her.

raptureready 01-18-2011 09:59 AM

Mom did beautiful piecing and quilting all by hand. And was one of the most phenomenal cobbler makers around. She was an excellent country cook and anyone that ever ate a meal at her house never forgot how good it was.
Dad's mom made beautiful quilts all on the machine and boy, could she fry chicken.
Dad played the piano and did some painting but mostly he grew things--a farmer that loved his God, family, country and land. He was a good mechanic. He had a connection with his animals that seemed uncanny--like they could actually understand one another, in fact, I believe they did. He was also an excellent cook and full of common sense wisdom.
Mom's sisters all quilted, all were great cooks
Oldest sister paints, plays the piano and sings high soprano beautifully. She also gardens and is an excellent cook.
Twin sisters quilt, one of them also paints. And they're both expert cookie makers but fairly lousy cooks.
Oldest younger brother plays the drums and sings bass wonderfully and cooks.
Youngest brother fishes, likes to build things, etc. He also cooks but excels at campfire cooking.
Hubby flys RC planes, sails RC boats, races RC speedboats, and everything else that can be done with anything RC. He also is a computer, electronic gadget nut and loves to buy things on the computer.
DD loves to paint, is learning to sew, plays the clarinet and signs with a group that's a younger extension of Gloves of Glory. They dress all in black other than white gloves. Then they perform in front of black lights with music playing. Very awe inspiring!
Me? I can paint, sew clothing and costumes, quilt, scrapbook, rubber stamp, research genealogy, crochet, knit,
play the piano a bit, and whatever else happens to intrique me. Do I do all these things at the same time? No. I also collect glass eggs, unique musical instruments (a small collection of harmonicas, wooden "spoons", a mountain dulcimer, a bariton ukelele, 2 auto harps, and my prize instrument---a zither from the 1800's), and nativities. And like most of my family, I'm a pretty fair cook.

Can you tell that I've been dieting and I'm pretty hungry as I'm typing this? BTW dd at 11 is becoming a fairly good cook but DH is HORRIBLE at it.

Becky Crafts 01-18-2011 12:49 PM

Should have mentioned grandmother was an excellent artist, my sister is an artist, mother crochets, great aunt was like me..a little of everything, aunt quilted, bakes beautiful cakes & my dad was a woodworker, & could fix everything from watches to kilns & photography equipment.

dixiebelle162002 01-18-2011 02:28 PM

My mother does beautiful hand embrodiery work, my dad can fix almost anything that is broken: appliances, cars, plumbing you name it. I consider that very talented....considering he has not had any formal training in these areas. My grandmother did hand quilting. My daughter paints and my son does wonderful drawings. My husband does wood crafts.

SweetSlumber 01-18-2011 03:55 PM

what a great question, it made me realize that everyone in my family (mom,dad, 10 siblings) does something with their hands, some for enjoyment and some for a living. We all love to garden. One sister quilts also, two are florists, another has her MFA and is a potter. All six brothers can build anything, fix anything, one's a mason, one's a bicycle mechanic, two are finish carpenters. Dads an engineer who loves to play guitar and piano, Mom doesn't sew anymore she's busy playing with the little grandchildren, but she's still an amazing baker/cook. My son likes to sew, he plays guitar and drums. I've left the knitting and cross-stitch behind for my addiction to quilting.

CarrieAnne 01-18-2011 05:22 PM

My Dad builds house, and furnitre, and about anything, (he made me a cat tree a while ago, lol). BF is a regular and Deisel mechanic, hecan fix almost anything.
My Grandma was the sewer, knitter, crafty person.
I dabble in lots of crafts and sewing. No musical stuff at all in our family!

cjomomma 01-18-2011 05:41 PM

Wow!! This has been great reading all of your responses. Thank you!