Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-pattern-your-1st-quilt-did-you-keep-t154715.html)

Jan in VA 09-21-2011 12:48 PM

Triple Rail pattern ala Mary Ellen Hopkins' It's Okay (if you sit on my quilt because i can make another one) class. It was given to my older daughter who still has it.

Jan in VA

Jennifer22206 09-21-2011 12:51 PM

my grandmother has the very first quilt I ever made. To date, I don't have one of my own. All the ones I've made have been claimed by family or close friends, or given away.

The first "pattern" was just random squares. Or it was a Celtic Knot one that I drew on graph paper.

jljack 09-21-2011 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?

My first quilt was an intermediate pattern, but I didn't know any better. I had a wonderful teacher who helped me, and I learned tons!! I don't remember the name of the pattern. I still have the quilt, and my grandkids like it (the color is all teals) and use it whenever they sleep over.

peggy119 09-21-2011 12:53 PM

My first quilt was made in 1976 and it was a queen size dresden plate - yes I still have it.

bluteddi 09-21-2011 01:17 PM

I have always given my quilts as gifts or donated to my charity of choice ( the last few years it has been The American Veteran Project.. sewing/quilting for Veterans)

I do own 1 of my quilts now... but only because I MARRIED the man I gave the quilt to over 15 years ago...( guess he could have been in trouble if he didn't keep the quilt!.... naaaa>) We've been married almost 3 yrs now!! WOOOO HOOOOOO!!!

He is retired Navy ( GO NAVY!!) and so it was a patriotic themed.....

Linnie 09-21-2011 01:20 PM

It was a simple 4 patch...a wedding present for my sister. She still has it today 30 years later

Bobbielinks 09-21-2011 01:26 PM

My first quilt was a Lonestar, made in about 1970. I saw a picture in a craft magazine and wanted to make it. I cut a diamond shape from sandpaper to use as a templete and hand cut with scissors all the pieces. When I sewed all the pieces together my 8 points would not meet and lay flat. That is when I discovered I had not allowed for any seam allowances; so I cut enough pieces to sew another point - now, I have probably the only 9 pointed Lonestar quilt in the world. I quilted it, but not close enough and most of the batting has shifted and wadded up so several places have no batting between the top and back. But, yes, I still have it up in the attic somewhere where nobody can find it until I'm dead and gone!

mim 09-21-2011 01:33 PM

It was a tree of life -- 48 pieces to the 12 inch block. It was for my son who wanted to remember Maine. He slept in it wrapped like a mummy and took it to college and even in his backpack when he went to teach Red Youth in Albania to play baseball. He gave it back to me a long time ago to "fix it". It was in tatters -- I still have it. He was in a body cast that summer and I was in a leg cast as I hand quilted it.

Mim\

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?

MadQuilter 09-21-2011 01:51 PM

I made a scrap sampler and it still is only a top. Sometimes I take it out and chuckle at all the newbee mistakes. When I have nothing else to do, maybe I'll finish it.

Glassquilt 09-21-2011 01:52 PM

An 8-point twin stack-n-whack for DGD