Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-pattern-your-1st-quilt-did-you-keep-t154715.html)

QBDOBDO 09-22-2011 12:29 PM

My first quilt was a sampler and donated to the VA. I still don't have one of my own quilts, but hope to get one that I can keep before too long.

justme CA 09-22-2011 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?

The first I made was a double Irish chain by Eleanor Burns method in 1985. I bought the wrong fabrics, cotton with a little polyester because I didn't know any better before the class. I made it, kept it, and with cheap polyester batting still love that quilt and use it. Maybe because I learned to make more beautiful and complicated quilts I use the first one more as I feel it darn sure isn't perfect and don't care? I tried to machine quilt it and only could do the borders and ended up tying the central section.

sandwich child 09-22-2011 01:17 PM

Less than two years ago I found some quilt blocks in bins of fabric after my mother died. First, I was going to throw them away. No, I decided (even though I never sewed in my life), I will make a quilt. Unfortunately, they were not all the same size and I had no idea what to do, but forged ahead and VOILA! before I knew it, I had made a king size quilt. I didn't know from nothin' about quilting so I hand quilted the thing. My son has it on his bed, along with another king size I made, and has already spoken for one I have at the quilter's right now. Guess I'm hooked.

NCquilter 09-22-2011 01:30 PM

My first quilt was a log cabin. (super simple) I used Christmas fabrics and gave it to my mother. She keeps it on her bed all year around. She was so excited and teared up when I gave it to her. It brought us closer together.

Quiltbeagle 09-22-2011 02:19 PM

It was a Tennessee Waltz I made in 1987, before the age of rotary cutters. It's SO soft from all the washings over the years. I still have it though I've had to repair it many times. It's a part of me.

Quiltbeagle 09-22-2011 02:19 PM

I keep double posting for some reason. My apologies.

sylviasmom 09-22-2011 03:04 PM

Tumbling Pandas. Made for my baby grandson.

ShabbyTabby 09-22-2011 03:09 PM

The Ohio Star and no I didn't keep it. I had it on my bed for all of 2 weeks when my DIL saw it and fell in love with it and so off it went...

quilt3311 09-22-2011 03:16 PM

102"x102" Lone Star --hand pieced--half quilted and still not done after some 40 years. And yes its still in my TO DO pile.

hensandhollyhocks 09-22-2011 03:18 PM

I am still working on my first quilt and I do plan to keep it. It is a 25 patch and I am using calico's a friend let me take from her "stash".