Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What was pattern of your 1st Quilt and did you keep it? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-pattern-your-1st-quilt-did-you-keep-t154715.html)

jitkaau 09-22-2011 04:21 AM

I made a sampler quilt and it is used on my bed.Made in 1983.

betlinsmom 09-22-2011 04:22 AM

my first quilt was an embroidered cat quilt. I broke every rule known to mankind with that quilt!! I embroidered days of the weeks cats ya know, Monday is wash day etc, on an inexpensive pale yellow flat sheet, with a lower thread count. I transfered those kitty blox right side up and backwards, too, to get them to face the other direction. I quilted it all in about 2 dozen different color threads with big stitches and finished the edges by just turning the top and the back to the inside and ladder stitching it closed. I won first place and a blue ribbon at the state fair on that quilt about 2 weeks after I finished it when a friend secretly entered it for me . I did not know anything about it til the newspaper called me for a write up for the fair. I had made it for my friends first beautiful daughter.

JayCee 09-22-2011 04:27 AM

Took a class and made a king size Ohio Star. Still use it.

gollytwo 09-22-2011 04:38 AM

Can't remember which of 2 was the first. I started in the 70s: Log Cabin (got quilted) or Postage Stamp (got tied).

I still have them both, can't use though, worn out.
One day they'll each be used as batts in quilts I'll keep for myself.

Edie 09-22-2011 04:39 AM

My very first pieced quilt was the pattern Antique Tile from Quilter's Cache. It taught me a lot....squares and rectangles. Got that down good, considering each block had 21 squares and from there I have branched out to half square triangles, which I think are absolutely fantastic - so many different designs you can make. It is still my favorite of all the quilts I have made. It is my life story in 35 12" blocks. Had it quilted professionally. (The only way to go for me)! It became my memory quilt.

Edie

gardnergal970 09-22-2011 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by PatchGirl
New to quilting and am curious as to what pattern you tried on your first official quilt? Did you keep it or give it away?

It was a Log Cabin quilt sew as you go and I gave it to my mother-in-law. That was about 30 years ago without one more quilt completed during that time although a couple more tops pieced. I started up a year ago and have completed 3, gave two away, have two tops ready to quilt and 3 more in various stages. Be careful, once the quilting bug bites, there is no end to the beautiful things you will want to make. Have fun trying to do them all!

Normacharlie 09-22-2011 04:44 AM

Barn Door, made it huge to learn from it! The fabric ended up costing me about $300 altogether. Bought all the fabric from a quilting shop and the reds have some light spots over the years. My kids swear they'll fight over it, don't know why. I only have two other quilts that I've made, one of them is one I got back when my parents passed on.

lovedquilts 09-22-2011 04:54 AM

My first was a fence rail, I never binded it and yes I still have it somewhere.

lovelyl 09-22-2011 05:03 AM

Rail Fence. No, I didn't keep it, gave it as a retirement gift to a very special lady!

ljs317 09-22-2011 05:13 AM

Nine Patch