Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What is a walking foot? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-walking-foot-t259209.html)

Learner747 01-05-2015 05:46 AM

What is a walking foot?

[SIZE=3]

I have read from time to time ya'll talking about a walking foot. What is it used for? Would I benefit if I get one?

dogsgod 01-05-2015 05:54 AM

It works great for machine quilting, bindings, and fabrics that tend to stretch. It moves the top and the bottom fabric instead of just the bottom that the feed dogs normally move. I use mine alot!

PaperPrincess 01-05-2015 05:59 AM

Basically, there is a mechanism that works like feed dogs on the top of the fabric built into the foot, so both top and bottom fabrics are gripped and move along simultaneously. This minimizes the layers shifting as you sew. It's great for quilting straight lines or gentle curves. Many people also piece with it.

tapper 01-05-2015 06:24 AM

If you do quilting, you will be glad to have a walking foot. Unfortunately, I didn't know that until about 3 years after I started quilting. It makes straight line quilting much easier as explained by others. I use it for bindings too and a lot of other things. I have used it for reverse sewing but have been told that it shouldn't be used for that. I admit I have had to buy a 2nd. walking foot because of stripped gears but I'm not sure that reverse sewing caused that...think it was just plain worn out.

Jeanne S 01-05-2015 07:08 AM

As others have said, it is a much larger pressure foot that moves with each revolution of your machine to duplicate the bottom feed dog action on the top of your fabric. It works well to help move all three layers of your quilt sandwich together to prevent one layer from slipping or dragging which will eventually cause distortions or puckers in your quilt stitching. I recommend you buy a good one, preferably the same name brand as your machine. A good one will cost $40-50. There have been lots of past discussions here about cheap generic walking feet that break easily which will just waste your money. It is very important to install it correctly on your machine, it should come with instructions, but there is an 'arm' on the walking foot with a prong on the end and you have to attach it so that prong slides on your needle bar of your machine such that the arm will move up and down with your machine action. Otherwise it fits like any other pressure foot. I think a walking foot is as necessary for quilting as a needle and thread--could not do without it!!

annievee 01-05-2015 09:04 AM

Please tell me what reverse sewing is? I recently got a walking foot and ready to try it. New item but did not come with any instructions.

QuiltE 01-05-2015 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by Learner747 (Post 7034559)
I have read from time to time ya'll talking about a walking foot. What is it used for? Would I benefit if I get one?

Some good comments already about the walking foot.

Many of the newer machines, a walking foot may not be needed as they have gone to a different system to avoid the need to install the walking foot. The words you might see mentioned are Dual Feed for Bernina, Accu-Feed for Janome and I am sure other brands have the equivalent. There are specific feet compatible to the system.

They still have the walking foot offered, but it may not be needed, if one is happy with the results without.

Originally Posted by annievee (Post 7034767)
Please tell me what reverse sewing is? I recently got a walking foot and ready to try it. New item but did not come with any instructions.

The use of it above, means simply that ... reversing, or going backwards.

However, often times when quilters say "reverse sewing" they are talking about taking out stitches. Sometimes you will hear it mentioned as "frogging" or "unsewing".

misseva 01-06-2015 12:02 PM

I have a generic one I paid $25 for back in the 90s and I do hit the reverse button when I need to. So far, it's served me well. I do straight line quilting and it would be impossible without my walking foot. I also use it for sewing on bindings.

Jackie R 01-07-2015 07:16 PM

It's rather basic for quilters as explained by many others here. They are not cheap (but will probably last for years and years) and definitely will make your quilting easier and nicer. Get one and you will not regret it.

mudose8 01-08-2015 04:28 PM

Definitely worth the money. Use it on my older Sears Kenmore. I have a Pfaff that has dual feed and if looking to buy a new machine, would make sure that it has this option.