What is a walking foot?

Old 01-05-2015, 05:46 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
Learner747's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Midwest
Posts: 626
Default What is a walking foot?


I have read from time to time ya'll talking about a walking foot. What is it used for? Would I benefit if I get one?
Learner747 is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:54 AM
Senior Member
dogsgod's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 489

It works great for machine quilting, bindings, and fabrics that tend to stretch. It moves the top and the bottom fabric instead of just the bottom that the feed dogs normally move. I use mine alot!
dogsgod is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 05:59 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Michigan
Posts: 11,249

Basically, there is a mechanism that works like feed dogs on the top of the fabric built into the foot, so both top and bottom fabrics are gripped and move along simultaneously. This minimizes the layers shifting as you sew. It's great for quilting straight lines or gentle curves. Many people also piece with it.
PaperPrincess is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 06:24 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 757

If you do quilting, you will be glad to have a walking foot. Unfortunately, I didn't know that until about 3 years after I started quilting. It makes straight line quilting much easier as explained by others. I use it for bindings too and a lot of other things. I have used it for reverse sewing but have been told that it shouldn't be used for that. I admit I have had to buy a 2nd. walking foot because of stripped gears but I'm not sure that reverse sewing caused that...think it was just plain worn out.
tapper is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 07:08 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Tulsa, Ok
Posts: 4,479

As others have said, it is a much larger pressure foot that moves with each revolution of your machine to duplicate the bottom feed dog action on the top of your fabric. It works well to help move all three layers of your quilt sandwich together to prevent one layer from slipping or dragging which will eventually cause distortions or puckers in your quilt stitching. I recommend you buy a good one, preferably the same name brand as your machine. A good one will cost $40-50. There have been lots of past discussions here about cheap generic walking feet that break easily which will just waste your money. It is very important to install it correctly on your machine, it should come with instructions, but there is an 'arm' on the walking foot with a prong on the end and you have to attach it so that prong slides on your needle bar of your machine such that the arm will move up and down with your machine action. Otherwise it fits like any other pressure foot. I think a walking foot is as necessary for quilting as a needle and thread--could not do without it!!
Jeanne S is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 AM
Super Member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tx
Posts: 5,332

Please tell me what reverse sewing is? I recently got a walking foot and ready to try it. New item but did not come with any instructions.
annievee is offline  
Old 01-05-2015, 09:18 AM
Power Poster
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 16,917

Originally Posted by Learner747 View Post
I have read from time to time ya'll talking about a walking foot. What is it used for? Would I benefit if I get one?
Some good comments already about the walking foot.

Many of the newer machines, a walking foot may not be needed as they have gone to a different system to avoid the need to install the walking foot. The words you might see mentioned are Dual Feed for Bernina, Accu-Feed for Janome and I am sure other brands have the equivalent. There are specific feet compatible to the system.

They still have the walking foot offered, but it may not be needed, if one is happy with the results without.

Originally Posted by annievee View Post
Please tell me what reverse sewing is? I recently got a walking foot and ready to try it. New item but did not come with any instructions.
The use of it above, means simply that ... reversing, or going backwards.

However, often times when quilters say "reverse sewing" they are talking about taking out stitches. Sometimes you will hear it mentioned as "frogging" or "unsewing".

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-05-2015 at 09:21 AM.
QuiltE is offline  
Old 01-06-2015, 12:02 PM
Super Member
misseva's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: East Arkansas
Posts: 2,507

I have a generic one I paid $25 for back in the 90s and I do hit the reverse button when I need to. So far, it's served me well. I do straight line quilting and it would be impossible without my walking foot. I also use it for sewing on bindings.
misseva is offline  
Old 01-07-2015, 07:16 PM
Super Member
Jackie R's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: St. Louis Cnty, MO USA
Posts: 1,064

It's rather basic for quilters as explained by many others here. They are not cheap (but will probably last for years and years) and definitely will make your quilting easier and nicer. Get one and you will not regret it.
Jackie R is offline  
Old 01-08-2015, 04:28 PM
Junior Member
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 279

Definitely worth the money. Use it on my older Sears Kenmore. I have a Pfaff that has dual feed and if looking to buy a new machine, would make sure that it has this option.
mudose8 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread Starter
Last Post
10-20-2011 05:11 PM
11-22-2010 10:29 AM
07-12-2010 07:59 PM
Debbie B
06-03-2010 06:31 AM
11-02-2009 07:33 PM

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

FREE Quilting Newsletter

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.