Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   what would cause a dog to scratch all the time (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-would-cause-dog-scratch-all-time-t129933.html)

AZTeri 06-12-2011 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by jaciqltznok

Originally Posted by Painiacs
Allergies, dry skin, dry Air??

yep..all of the above...

I agree. We go through the same thing with our shiztsu. He takes Benedryl (1/4 a tablet, I think) when it gets bad.

ETA - we use oatmeal shampoo on him when he gets groomed. That also helps.

Sheila_H 06-12-2011 06:06 PM

We use the Taste of the Wild food as well and he's been great with that, we also put some salmon oil on his food to help from his skin getting dried out I believe its called Dr. Maggie's

jitkaau 06-13-2011 03:23 AM

Fleas or skin allergy. There doesn't have to be anything new that causes an allergy - we develop allergies from stuff we have already been exposed to. Perhaps it is the carpet.

OmaForFour 06-13-2011 03:36 AM

She may have dry skin. How big is she? - if she is small to medium size, put one 1000 mg fish oil capsule in her food each day. If a large dog do this twice a day.

I have a rescued airedale. His coat was like wire when we got him and he scratched. Now he doesn't scratch and his coat is very soft.

The fish oil is good for her heart too. We have given this to our dog for years now.

Meanwhile til you get it under control, maybe you can ask the vet if you can give her something like Benadryl. Poor dog must be uncomfortable.

echoemb 06-13-2011 03:36 AM

My pup used to scratch alot also. Even to the point of getting hot spots. I finally figured out that he has grain allergies and is also allergic to chicken so you might want try putting him on a non-chicken, grain free food for a couple of months and see if that helps. It is amazing how many dogs are allergic to chicken and unfortunately chicken is a major ingredient in most food. Hope that helps.

Krystyna 06-13-2011 03:37 AM

Have you tried giving her some benadryl to see if that helps? Early in the spring one of my dogs was doing the same thing. The vet said that with all the rain and heavy pollen this year, he probably had an allergic reaction -- it worked.

Kmeyer 06-13-2011 03:59 AM

It a good possibility that it is her diet. We had a shitzu that scratched all the time and had red skin until we changed her food to a a food for sensitive skin. We had her on Science Diet prior to this so we thought we were giving her the best food but it did not agree with her skin.

Stitchit123 06-13-2011 04:27 AM

9 times out of 10 its an allergy to grass I am unfortunate enough to have a dog and a cat that suffer from this Vet says a 1/2 of a Benadryl every day will help ease the constant scratching .Both of my sweeties are under 7 lbs so I will give them only a 1/4 and hope it works.

2manyprojects 06-13-2011 04:33 AM

Avon Skin so soft is highly recomended by area vets. Dry skin is mostly the reason, sometimes it is physcological? ;-)

lovedquilts 06-13-2011 05:00 AM

it may be allergies, food or enviroment