Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What would you think...? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-would-you-think-t78313.html)

Ramona Byrd 11-23-2010 06:36 PM

I told my kids that I want to be cremated, and to throw my ashes at any neighbor I'm p**ed off at the time I kick the bucket.

Otherwise, no funeral, maybe a wake with lots of good food and friends who remember me.

I did have a picture of my late sister that someone took and gave to me, thinking I would be thrilled to remember her that way. Not so!!! I gave the picture a decent burial in my flower garden where my late sister had like the flowers.

QuiltingHiker 11-23-2010 06:46 PM

Welcome to the world of Social Networking. (Casketsm that is a bit over the top.)

mollymct 11-23-2010 06:59 PM

That's really weird. I tend to disagree that it's a southern custom. If so, not in my particular region! I would be so upset if someone took, much less posted anywhere, posted a postmortem photo of one of my family members.

everybody's mother 11-23-2010 07:04 PM

It sounds like she is suffering in a lot of ways that we can't understand. How sad for her.

sueisallaboutquilts 11-23-2010 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I agree with the fact that many cultures and time periods have their own ways of handling deceased relatives. My husband's family really likes to photograph and video things like this. I just leave family reunions when they break out the home movies of funerals and start narrating. It gets really weird when you get copies of those things (ours are in a box in the bottom of an old antique chest).

I guess if you can hang a picture on your wall you can put it on your facebook page. We all KNOW how private those are (since you are supposed to be friended, etc. :roll: :roll: :roll: NOT).

Labfairy, you are joking,right???
OMG that's really STRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

But listen everyone, I respect the fact that people do what they do. It's just really hard to imagine being at a reunion and having those kinds of movies!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHH

lab fairy 11-23-2010 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts

Originally Posted by lab fairy
I agree with the fact that many cultures and time periods have their own ways of handling deceased relatives. My husband's family really likes to photograph and video things like this. I just leave family reunions when they break out the home movies of funerals and start narrating. It gets really weird when you get copies of those things (ours are in a box in the bottom of an old antique chest).

I guess if you can hang a picture on your wall you can put it on your facebook page. We all KNOW how private those are (since you are supposed to be friended, etc. :roll: :roll: :roll: NOT).

Labfairy, you are joking,right???
OMG that's really STRANGE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

But listen everyone, I respect the fact that people do what they do. It's just really hard to imagine being at a reunion and having those kinds of movies!!!!!!!! AAHHHHHH

No joke.

wanderingcreek 11-23-2010 09:32 PM

To me that is just morbid!

Japonica 11-24-2010 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingHiker
Welcome to the world of Social Networking. (Casketsm that is a bit over the top.)

I don't believe that Facebook is Social Networking. It is simply a way to not really have to talk face to face with people anymore. That's why it was developed. The creator was shy and couldn't really socialize. I was on it for about 2 months and got off. I did not like what I saw my own family posting. Nothing seems to be sacred anymore and it is really becoming a "self absorbed" world.

kwilter 11-26-2010 02:04 PM

My ancestors from Eastern Europe right down to my mom took photos of loved ones in caskets. When going through passed-down items, I was appalled and got rid of them immediately...ugh! :-( Can't speak re Facebook...don't use it or any of the other similar sites...waste of time when I'd rather be quilting!

ljorange 11-26-2010 02:15 PM

I do genealogy and my gr-grandmother, in Minnesota, had a casket photo in an album from the late 1800's of her beautiful little sister who died at about age 9. I was thrilled to see it, but today's posting of everything on FB is ridiculous.