Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What was/is your occupation (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/what-your-occupation-t160255.html)

makakehau 10-13-2011 09:56 PM

Worked on an ambulance as an EMT Intermediate for
15 years. Moonlighted doing body removals for the Medical
Examiner for a couple of years and have been a 911 Dispatcher
For nearly 16 years now.

slk350 10-13-2011 09:57 PM

Worked part time jobs when a teen, worked at large computer company as an inspector and been a Domestic Goddess for 30 years since having my 1st child.

snipforfun 10-13-2011 09:57 PM

Retired paralegal

slk350 10-13-2011 09:58 PM

sorry, double post

Xtgirl 10-13-2011 10:15 PM

I'm a musician in a military band and soon to be long arm quilter:) I also taught middle school band and orchestra for a year before joining the military.

Joan 10-13-2011 10:22 PM

Retired Special Ed. PreK Teacher---absolutely loved my job.....still volunteer in local Kindergarten classroom

MacThayer 10-13-2011 10:27 PM

Started working at age 10, washing dishes in a restaurant (no child labor laws back then, and no mechanical dishwashers either!) Had a slew of jobs as a teen: waitress, car hop, retail, house cleaner, running a mangle in a cleaners, babysitting, cleaning hotel rooms, nurse's aide, seamstress making all my own clothes (including blue jeans) plus selling clothes. I sold mainly formal wear: prom dresses, Bridesmaid dresses, Mother of the Bride and/or Groom, and even a few wedding dresses. Worked my way through college as a seamstress, bar maid, and switchboard operator. Made lots of dresses for all the college formal dances. Only had a "One Stitch" and had to do all my own button holes by hand! Graduated as an RN. Loved the job! Worked full time and went back to school to get a degree in Creative Arts/Fiction Writing. Loved the experience! Kept working full time and eventually went back to school to finish my bachelor's in Nursing. Loved it! Became a supervisor in a Sub-acute Hospital. Adored it! Had so much freedom to help the patient's it was like being a Nurse Practitioner. So I kept working, and went to graduate school to become an Adult Nurse Practitioner. Best thing I ever did! Worked first in an Aids Hospice in Boston. What an incredible experience! Then became Senior Nurse Practitioner in the ENT Department at the University of Wisconsin, Madison. Spent 14 years there. Then another 5 years as Senior Nurse Practitioner in the Neurology Department at Gunderson Lutheran in La Crosse, Wisconsin. In snippets, between the other jobs, spent a year in Birmingham, England, teaching Nursing at the University of Birmingham (It was a professor exchange program). Wow, what an experience! Also spent some time doing Urgent care, which was very fast paced, and I loved it. And I spent time on an Indian Reservation, because I was needed, and it was an awesome and eye opening experience. I have been deeply blessed in my profession. After 39 years of full time employment, most of it in those 50-70 hour a week, eat you alive jobs, not to mention working and going to school, I have retired. Now it's time for me, and me wants to quilt!

Jan in VA 10-13-2011 10:53 PM

Retired childbirth educator and labor/delivery doula
Former quilt shop owner
Former realtor
Former registrar for U. of Southern California, Graduate School of International Relations
Former dental assistant/periodontal surgical assistant

Jan in VA (now tired and retired)

toomanycats 10-14-2011 01:13 AM

cattle rancher out where the coyotes howl and the wind blows free

blondeslave 10-14-2011 01:14 AM

Subrights Financial Analyst for a large publishing company.