Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's so wrong with being a homebody? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-so-wrong-being-homebody-t36269.html)

weezie 02-09-2010 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
So glad someone brought this subject up. I have spent my life trying to "fit in". It was torture for me when I was married and had to go out and dine with hubby's clients. I did get better after awhile. But I really am happiest being in my sewing room, working on a quilt, by myself. I have 5 permanent 4 legged critters in the house and my fosters, usually puppies, so I have plenty of "company". People just confuse me. I never know how they are going to react to things. So I guess I am antisocial, stuck up , etc too. That's fine with me now. It just took me 57 years to get that way. LOL

I, too, am glad the subject is being discussed. Just a few days before Butterfli19 asked the question, I had a letter from someone who described their surprise 50th wedding anniversary bash ... lots of family, friends, and a good time had by all. If my husband and I live to celebrate our 50th in a few years, the only people there will be the 2 of us ( and MAYBE our 3 offspring), so I was wondering, "What is wrong with me????" I now see that whatever it is, I'm not the only one.

People don't confuse me so much as they irritate me. I give and require honesty and that just seems to confuse most people in any social situation. When I worked in an office, I "manned" the switchboard whenever there was an office party, such as a baby or wedding shower. After avoiding these parties for several years, I found out that people assumed I was a snob. Perhaps I am; I hated being on the switchboard, but much preferred it to the bad party conversation, bad "jokes" and bad food.

Lyn 02-09-2010 07:27 AM

I AM A HOMEBODY!!! I know I have said this before but I have moved 22 times with husband and children, 2 times with
just DH. Before that as a kid I moved 12 times. Never made close friends and I really don't know if I am missing anything. I have a close family and my kids have finally quit asking me to travel with DH. Even he likes the comfort of home. My kids live to travel, I live to grow roots.

Oh yeah, I thought about having a surprise party for my husband's 60th birthday. I guess I will jump out from behind a door and yell, "Surprise!" :)

Jingle 02-09-2010 08:02 AM

I am comfortable in my own skin. I was a stay at home Mom for twenty five years and loved it when DH was at work and kids in school. I love to be by nyself and even when DH is home watching TV or working outside I enjoy doing my own thing. We have worked together for the past 23 years and quite time is good. I also work with our 2 oldest kids. I plan on retiring in June and I will be home again, not really by myself, 4 cats & two dogs and my bird. They won't judge me as most people want to. I like myself and some people don't and I think that is why they have to be on the go. I like to say,"Misery loves company", I know I didn't invent that saying but, I like to use it. I have one really good friend and that is enough for me. I have all the friends on this board, who could ask for more? :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

wvdek 02-09-2010 08:19 AM

I am enjoying the honesty and straight forwardness here.
I agree about being hurt too many times by people. You give it your all and then wham!
I agree with you jingleberry. I am my own best friend. I see nothing wrong with being comfortable in your own skin, your own thughts, and not needing someone to verify you as a human being.

Rachel 02-09-2010 08:23 AM

I like to be home too, just nice and quiet and surrounded by things I enjoy. sometimes I wonder if people that "get out" all the time just don't know how to enjoy their own company...

Aurora 02-09-2010 09:05 AM

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a homebody. I have always enjoyed being with me. I do my best dreaming and creating when I can enjoy solitude. I belong to a Quilt Guild through Homemakers which fills any socializing needs I have about twice a month and we play cards once a month. Other than that I am far too busy to need entertainment.

I have always been of the opinion that people who do not like themselves very much, need to be surrounded by lots of people all the time.

Pats8e8 02-09-2010 09:57 AM

I'm with you. I like being home. I don't mind going out to eat though. :) But friends go to quilt retreats, etc and want me to go, but I prefer my own bed and just like to be home to sew and garden, etc.

Linsoblu 02-09-2010 10:45 AM

Don't worry about it I had the same problem after my first marriage ended. The few friends I do have were always trying to line me up with someone. They didn't think I should be a lone, but I like my a lone time. My son even had a hard time with it he thought being a lone meant lonely like a lot of people. I told him no I like myself and enjoy being a lone. Even now that I've remarried I still need my time a lone even from my husband.

Bevanger 02-09-2010 11:51 AM

you sound like me except for the single part. i enjoy staying home. i love my house. if i wanna talk to friends, i come here

LogCabinLady 02-09-2010 11:54 AM

I am not the type of person who likes to spend time talking with women friends or at social events in groups. I do enjoy being home but am very comfortable going camping for weeks on end with my husband, family and/or friends. The time we spend together is priceless. I love the volunteer work I do at the local hospital, meeting and greeting people. What I am saying is that I love to talk to individuals, not in groups. I have no desire to join a book club even though I love to read. I think I could be happy being in my home most of the time, but I need to go out to movies, plays or play games with friends. I would like to think I am flexible. I really just love living my life the way I want to and not being pushed by anyone to join this, attend this, etc. AT my age I do what I want to do and mostly with my husband and family when they come into town or we visit them. Life is wonderful no matter how we choose to live it.