Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's your claim to fame? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-your-claim-fame-t134744.html)

Ellen 07-04-2011 07:21 PM

Congrats, RugosaB. I completely understood....it was a big, big day.
Let's see, my claim to fame is growing up in Freeport, ME and climbing the 53 steps to get into LL Bean and the pot bellied stove to thaw in front of. They had benches and we would do our homework while we thawed. It was half way home and high schoolers couldn't ride the schoolbus. Of course this was in winter...very cold winters. I remember -30 for a month once.
I lived in Gitmo. That was an experience...I would do it again tho. Made many friends that are still in touch.
I lived in Key West when Jimmy Buffet wasn't a name yet...pointed him out to my sister in the Tampa airport 17 yrs ago and she said "Who is Jimmy Buffet"....he winked at me. Was dressed in tan blazer, jeans, loafers and no socks.
When I was a kid in Maine, my Mom came out to the car at the drive in theater and asked that we get Bette Davis' autograph, my dad was running the movie and my mom worked in the snack bar...I said I would if the rest (4 of us) would back me up...got to the car and asked her for her autograph, looked back and the brats were 200 feet from me and I bolted. Bette Davis hollered, Little girl, come back. I didn't. She was married to Gary Merrill at the time.
I met Eleanor Burns.
I have to say the bestest was when a friend from ME met us in Almagordo, NM (she lived there) and she told me I was the reason she studied theology and became a Methodist Minister. That is so overwhelming for me. My heart fills as do my eyes whenever I think of that. Polly is back in ME and happy, happy, happy. Her mom was a riot....Italian ya know.

Marlys 07-04-2011 08:00 PM

I was picked out of an audience of about 10,000 to go on stage and sing with Barry Manilow.

Arleners 07-04-2011 08:07 PM

One time at Kennedy Airport, I peed in the stall next to Carol Burnett!

amyjo 07-04-2011 08:38 PM

A long time ago when I was in the USWACS, I was mistaken for carol Burnett. I was honorary stewardess on our flight to Vietnam when I flew over there for my tour of duty. Other than that my claim to fame is that I raised 4 beautiful daughters, have a wonderful DH for 39 yrs. and have a good life on the farm.

BARES 07-04-2011 08:51 PM

Over the years have met, gone to meetings, and had dinner several actors and directors - some famous and some not so famous. Some are stage and some are musicals. Have had the opportunity to go to several showings before they were open to the public in which other actors/actress' have attended. Hubby works in a business that allows him to meet many as well and that includes make-up, dressers, gaffers, etc. If they like someone then they recommend that person to all the friends and co-workers, as well as neighbors. It is nothing to see homes that have the pool moved down the hill because the daughters don't want to share a bathroom and therefore must put in seperate baths for them and in order to make room for the baths the pool must be moved. I have found that stars are pretty much like the rest of us, but have an image to keep when they are in public. All the ones I have met have been very nice.

katcincinnati 07-04-2011 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nan Quilts
Sure miss her beautiful voice.

Me too.

sosewcrazy 07-05-2011 06:55 AM

Met some guy in Maine that was actually from Texas... some kind of politician... when I was in college and working at a camp. Years later realized it was George Bush when he won the election in a landslide and they showed his summer home in Kennybunkport, ME.

sculpyfan 07-05-2011 09:42 AM

I was the first Go Go dancer in Abilene,Tx.Not like some on TV, I was fully clothed and stayed that way. Abilene was firmly entrenched in the bible belt and the town was dry, so only private clubs could sell booze. My dad was a deacon in the church and was mortified! I told him if any church members saw me there they would never admit it. I had never danced in public, not even at parties, and had only watched Bandstand. Where I got the nerve to even try out just astounds me. Ah,the young.

Buckeye Rose 07-05-2011 10:43 AM

I used to shoot pool in leagues and competed in tournaments. One year I made to the national tournament in Vegas and finished 2nd! Was a once in a lifetime experience and was thrilled beyond belief. My hobby has now shifted to quilting.

sewred 07-05-2011 11:05 AM

I met the wrestler "Gold Dust" Dustin Rhodes when he and " The Bodyguard" came in to eat on their way from Indianapolis when i worked and lived up north in Indiana. I don't think he liked me very well I wasn't a fan of his so everyone was standing "star struck" and getting his autograph and he looks at me when he's done and I said No thanks, I don't want one! If it would've been his dad that would've been different I went to Evansville as a kid and saw him wrestle! Oh, well i wasn't impressed! hee he