Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   What's your secret? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/whats-your-secret-t295767.html)

orangeroom 03-26-2018 09:18 AM

What's your secret?

Recently a friend went on a quilt retreat. One of the 'get to know you games' they played was to tell the group something about yourself that no one knew already. Some of the things said were funny or serious and/or shocking. I sat and thought about what I would've said had I been present, but comfortably realize that my life is pretty tame. Nothing shocking about my past. Nothing too funny either.

I really don't have much of a filter, so most of what you hear, is what's rattling around in my head at that moment. I actually do use a filter from time to time, but I don't think people realize that.

I guess the only thing I can really come up with is that growing up my father was a policeman and I was raised knowing that 7 Draper Street was a house of ill-repute. Maybe not all young children know the exact address of a place like that. Much less, that as an adult I still know that.

It may be a long while until I can access this thread again. I've had issues getting onto this site only, from home computer. Says something like 'access denied.' So, if you're willing to share, what's your secret.

Stitchnripper 03-26-2018 09:48 AM

Not really a secret but because of my experiences usually early into meeting someone who I might see on a regular basis I say I am Jewish and have a gay son. That has eliminated some potential friendships.

cashs_mom 03-26-2018 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper (Post 8028949)
Not really a secret but because of my experiences usually early into meeting someone who I might see on a regular basis I say I am Jewish and have a gay son. That has eliminated some potential friendships.

Well then, the heck with them! How judgemental!

quilt1950 03-26-2018 10:10 AM

DH and I went to the wrong house for a New Year's Eve party. We got pretty far before we realized we had a problem. We didn't expect to recognize many people because we were new in town, and it was a work related party. We did wonder why everyone else had obviously been drinking for awhile, when we were arriving at the start of the party.

Wanabee Quiltin 03-26-2018 10:32 AM

Hardly anyone knows I have a degree in Anthropology and Sociology.

DJ 03-26-2018 12:00 PM

I was at a retreat years ago where this prompt was asked. It was a church retreat, so I didn't have the nerve to say that I would occasionally sleep with strange men (I rode the commuter bus to work and would sometimes take a little nap sitting next to another commuter whom I did not know). LOL

Alyce ~ That's sad, but probably saves you a lot of grief down the road.

dunster 03-26-2018 12:48 PM

I think if I want to share something I should have the right to choose where, when, and with whom. I just might make something up though.

nativetexan 03-26-2018 12:55 PM

it is tempting to make something up! I've been married three times. most people don't know of the second one. too short to mention really.

QuiltE 03-26-2018 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by dunster (Post 8029045)
I think if I want to share something I should have the right to choose where, when, and with whom. I just might make something up though.

I'm with you ... not a "game" that I would want to be drawn into by chance.

I wouldn't likely humour them by make something up.

However, I might say ... "Oh yes, I have secrets and they will stay just that!"

Watson 03-26-2018 01:49 PM

I used to sneak into the local animal petting zoo at night and ride the ponies.

Watson