Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Wheat free diet (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/wheat-free-diet-t137298.html)

true4uca 07-13-2011 08:02 AM

Anyone else on a wheat free diet, if so how do you make a sandwich for lunch. Also any breakfast ideas. Dinner is covered. I just never realized I ate so much wheat, it seems to be in everything I eat.

SparkMonkey 07-13-2011 08:15 AM

We're completely grain-free in our house. For take-to-work lunch it's usually a salad with lots of different veggies, boiled egg, some kind of meat, and just a bit of olive oil and vinegar. Sometimes nuts or sunflower seeds. The oil and protein help keep it satisfying (veggies alone will fill up your stomach but won't keep you going for long). If it's cold weather, soup, stew, or chili happens a lot too.

At home where it's easier to cook, lunch is usually leftovers or a pared-down dinner (steamed veggies and a simple piece of meat, something that cooks quickly like chicken breast tenderloins or pork chops).

If you're wheat-free, bread is just really hard to get right. I have a friend with celiac disease who tried all sorts of different gluten-free breads and was disappointed with every one. Pasta wasn't so difficult to find, but bread was a no-go. We don't eat any grain at all, so it's simply not a question.

Hope this helps!

Jennifer22206 07-13-2011 08:21 AM

I'm not on a wheat free diet, I don't like bread. I'll make a sandwich between two pieces of lettuce (cold sammies anyway). I do the same with veggie burgers/turkey burgers

SparkMonkey 07-13-2011 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Jennifer22206
I'm not on a wheat free diet, I don't like bread. I'll make a sandwich between two pieces of lettuce (cold sammies anyway). I do the same with veggie burgers/turkey burgers

Oh yeah, we've done that too! Cabbage leaves work as well. You just need to be sure the sandwich fillings aren't too messy (sloppy joes, for instance, would get a little gross ;)).

BellaBoo 07-13-2011 08:43 AM

I have a grain free bread recipe made from spinach. It's great sliced thin for sandwiches. It's carb free too. Let me look for the recipe.

BellaBoo 07-13-2011 08:47 AM

Found it in my computer recipe file, I was hoping I saved it on computer, saves me a lot of typing.
I posted it on the recipe page.

true4uca 07-13-2011 09:03 AM

A friend also said it was easier to just not be bothered about bread. She used rice crackers instead. I was kinda hoping for bread.

Originally Posted by SparkMonkey
We're completely grain-free in our house. For take-to-work lunch it's usually a salad with lots of different veggies, boiled egg, some kind of meat, and just a bit of olive oil and vinegar. Sometimes nuts or sunflower seeds. The oil and protein help keep it satisfying (veggies alone will fill up your stomach but won't keep you going for long). If it's cold weather, soup, stew, or chili happens a lot too.

At home where it's easier to cook, lunch is usually leftovers or a pared-down dinner (steamed veggies and a simple piece of meat, something that cooks quickly like chicken breast tenderloins or pork chops).

If you're wheat-free, bread is just really hard to get right. I have a friend with celiac disease who tried all sorts of different gluten-free breads and was disappointed with every one. Pasta wasn't so difficult to find, but bread was a no-go. We don't eat any grain at all, so it's simply not a question.

Hope this helps!

true4uca 07-13-2011 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
Found it in my computer recipe file, I was hoping I saved it on computer, saves me a lot of typing.
I posted it on the recipe page.

Looks interesting,I may try this.

irishrose 07-13-2011 09:07 AM

Your natural food has gluten free breads. I need mine gluten and yeast free, so it's more difficult, but I found one that makes great grilled cheese sandwiches and isn't bad for others.

Ramona Byrd 07-13-2011 09:20 AM

There are several gluten-free grains around, none seem to equal bread but I'm trying. I decided to go grain free last month after realizing that several in my family (both my daughters included) are either allergic or are affected by grains. Not too much weight lost but my belt is getting larger.
Just got this in my mail box this morning. Check out the Dr. Mercola website. Interesting..and in some cases I do believe it.
We have some addiction prone members of our family
----------------------------
Dr. Mercola....

Why Food Addictions Can be as Strong as Drug Addictions
An addiction process that rivals that of prescription and recreational street drugs may explain why you're having a hard time giving up sugar, bread and pasta.