Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When do you quit giving gifts to "kids" (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-do-you-quit-giving-gifts-kids-t209009.html)

FabrikQueen 12-27-2012 05:49 AM

Like everyone else, I'm sick and tired of sending gifts to people (family included) without so much as a thank you from any of them. So, last year I completely stopped sending gifts to the people that couldn't be bothered to send any type of acknowledgment. The surprising thing, I'm not sure if any of them even noticed! Oh well, I did what I felt I had to do and that's the end of it.

Peckish 12-27-2012 12:25 PM

Obviously a sore topic!

noveltyjunkie 12-30-2012 02:29 AM

Sounds like your DIL has been around some cold people. There is no point pretending they are not out there, sadly. Hopefully you can show that others are kinder in their intent!

Originally Posted by Nickky (Post 5739128)
Someone (daughter in law) told the kids, when someone expects a Thnak You, they are looking for gratitude..What a shame to think that way.

noveltyjunkie 12-30-2012 02:32 AM

Lovely window on your world there- thanks for sharing!

Originally Posted by Momma_K (Post 5739258)
I have to be honest and say I really have the greatest grandkids ever! Several are 20, 2 are 19, 0ne is 21 and two 13 yr olds. And finally Mary Grace is 7. They don't expect much and still grateful enough to give me the biggest hugs! So big I can't breathe from my oldest grandsons! My grand daughters are as thankful and so sweet with the hugs. I get kisses on the cheek from the boys to where I could cry from the warmth I feel in my heart. I could get them anything from a candy bar to a $50.00 tablet and I still recieve such thanks. Not long ago I helped my grand daughter, one of the 13 yr olds to get a pair of basketball shoes for school. She was thrilled and her school won every game this season...I have to bragg and say she is one of the top players! One of our local colleges asked her to play on their ladys basketball team next year! I am truely blessed. I reckon it's because I'm the oldest of 7 kids and we all grew up with respect and learned how to be thankful for what we had which wasn't much to be honest. I just thank God for everyone of my grandchildren and 3 daughters. I couldn't ask for better.

Momma_K 12-31-2012 07:20 AM

Thank you Noveltyjunkie!! It's just a picture I found on the internet somewhere. I WISH it were like that here. But sad enough we rarely ever see snow in Southern TN...:( I was raised in Northern IL in Rockford and very much use to the snow! I miss it as you can tell...

Cagey 01-01-2013 06:18 PM

I have always sent gift cards to my 2 nieces from my Mom as she is not able to get out any more. One lives in New Yrk and the other in Australia. We haven't received a thank you in the 2 years I've been doing this. for that matter, We never receive a thank you from their parents (my brother and wife) either. When I ask them if they received the package they say they did but never acknowledge it. Guess it runs in the family. Decided not to give the nieces anything this year but will continue to send to my brother from my Mom.

Milli 01-01-2013 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by Susan G. (Post 5734373)
We quit giving to the nieces and nephews when they turned 18.

We quit when they 18!

Wanabee Quiltin 01-01-2013 07:34 PM

I think you have our permission to stop giving gifts to these particular relatives. This past summer I talked to my pastor about buying gifts for my adult children who have way too much of everything and can buy anything they want. I really don't like buying them gifts anymore, it seems to be more stressful each year. He told me it was fine to stop buying adult children gifts, so this year I made a large donation to charity. I also told them that I did not want any gifts as I was 'blessed' enough. Everyone was happy with my idea (probably not DIL) but that's OK. I am buying the 5 grandchildren gifts still but only until they are 21 years old, which isn't too far off. I usually bake cookies and banana bread and loads of candy to give away, but this year I did not do it. We were leaving town soon and my DH said I needed to rethink the baking also. It was very freeing for me and I had a great holiday season. I did give away some to a relative who is handicapped and can't fix it for herself, but that was all I did. I had a natural holiday this year.

liking quilting 01-02-2013 07:58 PM

We stopped at age 18. I feel the kids you don't write thank-you's were not taught to do it by their parents. Shame on them.

TanyaL 01-02-2013 08:11 PM

We can't blame all the bad habits of the children on their parents. Most parents did not teach their children to drink, use drugs, sleep around, stop going to church and many did in fact have them write thank you notes when they were young. Adults do what they deem is important to them. They certainly are capable of deciding for themselves what is of a priority in their lives. The priorities of one generation or several generations past is not evidently a priority in the younger generations. Don't blame it on their parents.