Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   When do you take your Christmas decorations down? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/when-do-you-take-your-christmas-decorations-down-t293673.html)

QuiltnLady1 12-30-2017 07:28 PM

When do you take your Christmas decorations down?

For years we took our decorations down the weekend after New Years, but lately I have seen folks take them down the day after Christmas. Thoughts???

Jingle 12-30-2017 07:43 PM

When I did put decorations up when kids were little around New Years Day. When Grands were younger about the day after Christmas. We no longer put up decorations.

tranum 12-30-2017 07:55 PM

Our Christmas begins at Christmas - so our tree & decorations go up late & stay up until January 6. Outside lights go up early in Dec and go down around January 6. It’s how my parents raised me. :D

BETTY62 12-30-2017 08:01 PM

For years I did not take them down before New Years day, however, the last few years I have taken them down the day after Christmas.

QuiltE 12-30-2017 08:33 PM

For the work of putting up the decorations, I keep them up for the "Twelve Days of Christmas".
So that means through until the 6th.

Depending on where that falls in the week, and what is happening in my life,
they may come down on the 5th or a few days after the 6th.

quiltingshorttimer 12-30-2017 08:47 PM

with a real tree we would put up about 2 weeks before and take down before/on New Years. Fast forward 3 years with an artificial tree--this year we put up a week before and once DS's family leaves on New Years we'll start taking down stuff--may take 2 days to do it though! One thing I want to do is sort through all the decorations we no longer put up and st aside for kids to go through and either they take or I donate to charity. I'm hoping to declutter the basement in 2018

Prism99 12-30-2017 10:02 PM

We haven't put up a tree in a couple of years. However, when we did, we left it up until sometime in March. Both my husband and I liked having the cheery lights on during the dark winter months in Wisconsin and Minnesota. (I should add that we would always procrastinate putting the tree up, so it usually went up the day before Christmas Eve!)

sewbizgirl 12-30-2017 11:06 PM

We leave the tree up until after New Year's Day. I am always appalled when I see a Christmas tree on somebody's garbage pile the day after Christmas... and even have seen them thrown out later on Christmas day! Sacrilege! :D

K-Roll 12-31-2017 01:09 AM

DH and I contend about this subject every year. He takes it down on New Years Day no matter my request to leave it up 'til Epiphany (the 6th).

NJ Quilter 12-31-2017 03:08 AM

Usually at least until Epiphany - depending on when that falls. Usually weekend after New Years though. And we put up our tree usually 1-2 weeks prior to Christmas.