Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Where id my hummers go?! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/where-id-my-hummers-go-t224043.html)

Kitsie 06-19-2013 12:55 PM

Didn't know orioles ate nectar too? And purple finches? What do they eat? I found that Goldfinches are happy with Sunflower seed. So much cheaper than thistle! Just saw one hummer! Tried the nectar but then came to the window to stare at the cactus flowers! Did I maybe put water instead of nectar in the feeder - was good enough for them every other day! I'm going to wash and refill, too. Kinda like when we re-thread and re-bobbin out machines when they don't work!

QuiltE 06-19-2013 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by Kitsie (Post 6131814)
Didn't know orioles ate nectar too? And purple finches? What do they eat? I found that Goldfinches are happy with Sunflower seed. So much cheaper than thistle! Just saw one hummer! Tried the nectar but then came to the window to stare at the cactus flowers! Did I maybe put water instead of nectar in the feeder - was good enough for them every other day! I'm going to wash and refill, too. Kinda like when we re-thread and re-bobbin out machines when they don't work!

Kitsie ... yes orioles like nectar too. I remember reading a few years ago, that you should not feed them the same mix ... forget what the recipe was for orioles. Purple finches will eat the same as the sunflower seed ... though mine always have liked the niger aka thistles!

Kitsie 06-19-2013 01:27 PM

No sooner refilled the backyard one and hadn't even gotten up the stairs and ahhh, the familiar sound! One is back!

tessagin 06-19-2013 01:29 PM

you may need toclean out your feeders.

sweetpea 06-19-2013 04:08 PM

at our place the wild flower are in full bloom. I been think that is y we are not having any?

Nanny's dollface 06-20-2013 03:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I have observed our hummers absent for a few days as the days become warmer then all of a sudden show up to feed at their feeder. We were very fortunate to have a mama hummer build a nest on our patio fan this spring. Watching the two baby hummers grow and to be present when they fledged was awesome. Lately, I find them at the feeder early in the morning before the sun . Here's a pic of the two babies before they fledged.

KyKaren1949 06-20-2013 04:02 AM

Don't buy the red nectar-the hummingbird websites warn against it. Use 1 part sugar to 4 parts tap water. Mix it in a pitcher with a lid. Refrigerate any leftover nectar for up to a week or so. Change the nectar every couple days; especially if it's hot. Once it starts getting cloudy, it must be changed. Every other time, take the feeders down and wash them in a mild detergent with a little bit of bleach to kill any bacteria inside of them. I usually have 4-6 feeders going. I've had 10 times more hummers since I read the article and stopped buying the red nectar.

chips88 06-20-2013 04:24 AM

i have a few at my feeder now. but last year i could hardly keep up with them. changing five times or more a day.it may be the weather run them off course.they came late too.this year.

JANICE E. 06-20-2013 05:20 AM

charlotte nc and we just remarked at breakfast where's the hummingbirds. I will have the feeder checked to make sure it's clean. Have a great day.

kalena 06-20-2013 06:13 AM

Our birds leave for a while sometimes, I think when babies are being born.