Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Who Uses Facebook? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/who-uses-facebook-t136048.html)

Jennifer22206 07-08-2011 01:06 PM

I only use it for friends and family that I've got scattered all over the world. I don't really see the point in it.

patcummings 07-09-2011 02:53 AM

I love Facebook! It is so much fun to see photos of quilts that other professionals are making and to hear the latest news in the quilt industry. I keep up to date with friends and family and make new friends. I am very selective in who I "friend" and quickly "unfriend" people who just want to sell me something (that I don't want) and are there for no other purpose. I like finding out about new products that are useful (like Superior Threads!) and I follow a number of business and museum sites.

Facebook is also a good place to announce my latest in-print, blog, or website articles or books and a way to help promote businesses I like. It is a wonderful interface and not one that should cause anxiety or fear if a computer user has all the usual protection devices in place.

Edie 07-09-2011 03:09 AM

Originally Posted by JUNEC
I am a dinasaur - never used facebook - not sure I want to try it. Afraid of the invasion of privacy.

I WON'T use facebook. And I don't want to use facebook. It scares the crap out of me to even think that people can get so much information about me out of there. I have my friends here on Quilting Board and I trust each and every one (don't make me a liar) of you. We don't have to make friends, we know you are all here to help when we need it, to be of concern for other people and most importantly we don't have to have a visible record of how many friends we have. We know how many friends we have here on Quilting Board. I believe that we are good people who would give our right arm to help anyone and give our left if necessary!

I trust this Board implicitly and guess what? We aren't even famous! And we don't even care who is! We are all quilters and appreciate others beautiful work and encourage those that don't think their work is beautiful (which it is).

What more could we ask for? Edie

meemersmom 07-09-2011 03:21 AM

A friend of mine is on it all the time. I asked her why, and her response was to stay in touch. When asked, she couldn't even remember the last time she has spoken with one of her sisters. I get riled up when people use it as the be all and end all of communication. I have actually stopped patronizing a LQS because they only way they now communicate events is on FB. I asked about people that didn't use it and the response was that people should get "with it" and sign up. Much like twitter, I just don't get the point. If I want to talk to someone, I will call them. I will send an email. And, believe it or not, I still send real live actual letters via snail mail!!

allie1448 07-09-2011 03:28 AM

As I live 3,500 miles away from my family and friends (especially my two children) Facebook is the first thing I check each day! I have made new friends in my new life here in Canada too and it helps also helps my family and friends to keep in touch with how things are going here and (in their words) has made new contacts and friends for them too.

j 07-09-2011 03:28 AM

Have no intention of going there, seems to me people put out to much info as is and the fact that they keep putting their childrns pictures out there, scares me to death. I am more of a private person and like it that way. - J.

patcummings 07-09-2011 03:29 AM

Anyone on Facebook can set their own controls as to who has access to any of their information and can post only information that they want to share. I'm sure that new technology is scary to a lot of people who don't understand much about it. The largest group of people who use Facebook are over 55 years old, according to statistics - yes, the "baby boomers" like me!

It is wonderful that we have choices and that there are quilting lists and forums and sites and blogs and Twitter and so many ways for quilters to "connect" that we could all spend all day online and get NO quilting done! Love live the quilters and the friendships we form online and elsewhere. Cheers!

CarrieAnne 07-09-2011 03:54 AM

I am. My DD made me an account, so I can "talk" to her without long distance calls. Love the pictures, ect!

judi wess 07-09-2011 03:59 AM

I use FB for keeping in touch with family and friends. I don't understand all the games and don't have the patience to figure them out...would rather be quilting, knitting etc. I would however be interested in the quilt/thread offerings. Have become a thread junkie. Love the variegated threads.

Debbie C 07-09-2011 04:02 AM

I have reconnected with old friends, keep in touch with distant family and research all aspects of quilting which I find readily available on Facebook. Also it has been an amazing tool to find classmates for an upcoming Class Reunion!