Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   WHY "IN HIDING" FOR SOME LOCATIONS? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/why-%22-hiding%22-some-locations-t58279.html)

Sassy913 08-07-2010 11:00 AM

I find it unusual for some folks to enter "in hiding" when stating their location at registration. Why would anyone not want to be known for their locale? This is a very safe form of communication.
The opportunity is there to learn more about one's own backyard so to speak whether where the best buys are for fabric stores, swaps , etc, or the chance to make a connection with a like spirit. I find it very interesting to read where folks are from and get some great responses on anything from places to one day visit, great shopping finds, or even the chance to make a wonderful new friendship a bit more personal by maybe meeting one day. Please share your thoughts on my questions.

crawford1219 08-07-2010 11:02 AM

I think when you first start putting in your information it automatically puts "in hiding" in the field until you change it-new people may not realize that they need to change it.

DebraK 08-07-2010 11:04 AM

Why does it matter to so many people? I really don't care that I don't know where people on this board are from. I take you all at face(?) value ;-)

raptureready 08-07-2010 11:04 AM

I was "in hiding" at first until I felt more comfortable about posting my home state. Now I've even sent my home address, personal checks and home phone number out to people on the board. I think it just takes awhile to feel comfortable enough to put out some of the info. Then again, some just might not have gone back in and changed the locale on their profile.

raptureready 08-07-2010 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
Why does it matter to so many people? I really don't care that I don't know where people on this board are from. I take you all at face(?) value ;-)

I doesn't, except for some people on here are from some really interesting places--places that I'll never be able to visit and it's nice to know that and get their insight on different things. I love hearing about different quilting ideas from some of the members in other countries or even from different areas in our own country.

Shemjo 08-07-2010 11:08 AM

I would prefer to know where people are from, even if it is only their state.

DebraK 08-07-2010 11:09 AM

here's another thought. Maybe the word hiding is off putting to people. Perhaps undeclared, or something of that nature wouldn't bother some of you so much.

M.E.H. 08-07-2010 11:26 AM

I didn't know how to change it. I will try to change it now.

Sassy913 08-07-2010 11:31 AM

Loved the design you show as your personal ID. You must be an accomplished quilter. Thanks for your reply.

Sassy913 08-07-2010 11:33 AM

Hello fellow Washingtonian...I am in AZ now, but lived in Aberdeen and Enumclaw WA for 23 years before moving here for health reasons. Sure miss the GREEN and being near the ocean. Thanks for your reply. Blessings...