Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: WHY "IN HIDING" FOR SOME LOCATIONS?

I find it unusual for some folks to enter "in hiding" when stating their location at registration. Why would anyone not want to be known for their locale? This is a very safe form of communication.
    The opportunity is there to learn more about one's own backyard so to speak whether where the best buys are for fabric stores, swaps , etc, or the chance to make a connection with a like spirit. I find it very interesting to read where folks are from and get some great responses on anything from places to one day visit, great shopping finds, or even the chance to make a wonderful new friendship a bit more personal by maybe meeting one day. Please share your thoughts on my questions.

I think when you first start putting in your information it automatically puts "in hiding" in the field until you change it-new people may not realize that they need to change it.

Why does it matter to so many people? I really don't care that I don't know where people on this board are from. I take you all at face(?) value ;-)

I was "in hiding" at first until I felt more comfortable about posting my home state. Now I've even sent my home address, personal checks and home phone number out to people on the board. I think it just takes awhile to feel comfortable enough to put out some of the info. Then again, some just might not have gone back in and changed the locale on their profile.

Quote Originally Posted by DebraK
    Why does it matter to so many people? I really don't care that I don't know where people on this board are from. I take you all at face(?) value ;-)
    I doesn't, except for some people on here are from some really interesting places--places that I'll never be able to visit and it's nice to know that and get their insight on different things. I love hearing about different quilting ideas from some of the members in other countries or even from different areas in our own country.

I would prefer to know where people are from, even if it is only their state.

here's another thought. Maybe the word hiding is off putting to people. Perhaps undeclared, or something of that nature wouldn't bother some of you so much.

I didn't know how to change it. I will try to change it now.

Loved the design you show as your personal ID. You must be an accomplished quilter. Thanks for your reply.

Hello fellow Washingtonian...I am in AZ now, but lived in Aberdeen and Enumclaw WA for 23 years before moving here for health reasons. Sure miss the GREEN and being near the ocean. Thanks for your reply. Blessings...

There are a lot people involved in a "Secret Angel" swap or exchange. They don't want the person they are sending to to know where they are from so that they can't figure out who it is before its "time"

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Gem
    There are a lot people involved in a "Secret Angel" swap or exchange. They don't want the person they are sending to to know where they are from so that they can't figure out who it is before its "time"
    That's why I did it. I meticulously put where I was from when i first registered but decided to go "in hiding" when the SQA exchange began over 8 months ago. I've never had time to mail my angelee her pressies from other than my home post office and, because that's what I do when I mail something, I used my own return address (but no name). Well, :lol: my angelee sent me a nice note a couple of weeks ago so I decided to come out of hiding.

I don't know how to change it. I wondered why it says I am in hiding when I don't care if people know I am in Winchester, Tn.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda1
    I don't know how to change it. I wondered why it says I am in hiding when I don't care if people know I am in Winchester, Tn.
    After you have logged in, choose "My Profile" which is on the second line of choices under the Quilting Board - The Quilter's Message Board. Once it takes you to your profile, look under General Information; the second line lets you fill in Your Location. Be sure to hit update information in that same section after you type in your location.

When I joined a month or so ago I didn't realize I was in hiding! I just changed my profile and hopefully it will come up. I guess being new at this you make mistakes. Really, I am not in some witness protection program!!! LOL.

p.s. just checked and it is not comeing up. I am from Nova Scotia.

I changed it but for some reason it is not coming up. By the way I am from Nova Scotia.

We see peoples faces so I don't think they are really "in hiding". They just don't register their whereabouts in their profile so that is what pops up in their posts. nicky go to your profile and type in your state and click Update General Info.

try this once more and see if it worked!!

Yeah it worked. Hello from Nova Scotia!

It is helpful because some folks want to connect with others in their area. For example, a big quilt show will be near me next March. By typing "FL" in the search box on the member page, I can generate a list of folks who might attend.

Some newbies are also looking for mentors, who can give them "hands-on" help.

One lady here lives across town from me, and she is very cool! If she had not taken the time to put in a location, we may have never met.

What she said.

I'm sorry you feel put off by it, but if you read the Secret Quilt Angel posts, you willl see why we are In Hiding and for the remainder of the year we wish to keep it that way. We are only dong this for a short time. If you go to the top of the page, go to SEARCH, and type in your question, you will see you are not the only one to ask. I hope this helps. Thanks for asking.

Also, if you

Blog Entries
    it is showing it now, welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by nicky
    When I joined a month or so ago I didn't realize I was in hiding! I just changed my profile and hopefully it will come up. I guess being new at this you make mistakes. Really, I am not in some witness protection program!!! LOL.

p.s. just checked and it is not comeing up. I am from Nova Scotia.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    What she said.

I'm sorry you feel put off by it, but if you read the Secret Quilt Angel posts, you willl see why we are In Hiding and for the remainder of the year we wish to keep it that way. We are only dong this for a short time. If you go to the top of the page, go to SEARCH, and type in your question, you will see you are not the only one to ask. I hope this helps. Thanks for asking.

Also, if you
    I see a lot of first posts from people with "in hiding" for the location. How do people that have never even posted get in the secret angel swap?

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy913
    Hello fellow Washingtonian...I am in AZ now, but lived in Aberdeen and Enumclaw WA for 23 years before moving here for health reasons. Sure miss the GREEN and being near the ocean. Thanks for your reply. Blessings...
    As soon as our home sells here in Indiana, I will be joining my hubby in Spokane Wa. I really love it in Washington....

[I see a lot of first posts from people with "in hiding" for the location. How do people that have never even posted get in the secret angel swap?]

Hope this is not meant for me as I posted over 5700 x's and have been on here well over a year. :lol:

The SQA swap signups occured in Dec. and we started in Jan. swapping. Chele is in charge. I don't think you can jump in, but PM her and ask. No harm in doing so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast