Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Windows 10 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-10-a-t266153.html)

ManiacQuilter2 06-09-2015 06:41 AM

I am going to hold onto my XP computer. Just so many problems with all the newer versions. My favorite games I was able to load from Window '98. I always tell people that you know you are getting old when you don't need the newest computer toy.

ladydukes 06-09-2015 07:31 AM

From what I've read, Windows 10 is available for those who have Windows 7 through 8.1 for FREE because of all the problems and complaints encountered using Windows 8, etc. I don't think Windows 7 has support any more, or if it does, that support may be going away.

Stitchit123 06-09-2015 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 (Post 7221545)
I am going to hold onto my XP computer. Just so many problems with all the newer versions. My favorite games I was able to load from Window '98. I always tell people that you know you are getting old when you don't need the newest computer toy.

I'm still with XP . My son upgraded me from '98 and I fought it but it was a pretty easy switch over for me. With every upgrade since then he has tried to convince me that all the new bells and whistles will be better. But I have listened to him complained for weeks about the glitches with each new upgrade on his systems. My DIL is a programmer and she is still with XP. As she say's ''If it ain't broke don't fix it'' She refers to these upgrades as job security. A few hours to install and several weeks of lessons on how to use the new stuff.

hamchips88 06-09-2015 09:16 AM

i have zorin os 9 linux.. very happy with it .. easy to install ..i had xp then upgrade to 7 then said thats it no more windows trouble.. zorin os 9 is for me// they also have the linux xp simular to windows xp..

donna13350 06-09-2015 11:02 AM

As a general rule, I never go right into the newest Windows edition..I have found that it takes the companies a while to make drivers for some of these upgrades, and if you dive in too fast, you may have to wait to use your printer, MP3 player..etc..with me it's especially the embroidery machine...I'm just as happy to give them some time to work the kinks out, too.

Lundyann 06-09-2015 11:09 AM

I use Windows 8.1; it has certainly been a learning curve. My understanding for those who are using 8.1, Windows 10 will be a free upgrade. A few weeks back I participated in an one on one survey regarding HP Connect One, this is where I was told the upgrade would be free. Just interested to know if anyone else has been told the same thing. It has been interesting to change over to the concept of paying fees for the use of software.

Ada Shiela 06-09-2015 02:38 PM

I had little old Toshiba laptop 15+ years ago which used 3.5" floppy discs and regret parting with it because I still have discs from IT training days which I can no longer read and one family email I'd love to print! Some older Brother embroidery machines use floppy discs. Still have Acer about 10 years old which uses the PCMCIA card we used for our earlier embroidery machines using XP; now have MacBook with Vista Professional and Samsung laptop with Windows 7. Buzz Xplore works on older Windows but not on Windows 8 - that is my cataloging programme for embroidery designs and can't live without it. Keep as many old pcs as we can store, preferably laptops, not desktops, because they take up less space and don't need spare monitors. We can still buy spare external 3.5" floppy drives. XP might no longer be supported yet we still get occasional updates - so long as the pc works, keep using it. When Windows '95 arrived mid 1990s many printers and scanners had to be replaced because manufacturers didn't update drivers.

fangman 06-09-2015 04:54 PM

I have windows 7, and I did sign up to receive the free upgrade to windows10. thought I might just as well learn it. It is supposed to out July 29th.

slbram17 06-10-2015 02:25 PM

More info on Windows 10, one note is that there is no fee for keeping Windows 10 updated.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/293...ows_2015-06-10

selm 06-12-2015 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ (Post 7220355)
at first glance windows 10 looks very similar to 8, so you should be able to make the transition easily.
not the same for me. i still use 7 on my two primary computers.
i broke down and got a small 2-in-1 recently that uses 8.1 - which i do not like.

i will "upgrade" one to version 10 so i can play with it long enough to decide whether to transition all three.

on windows 8 you can use the desktop interface and not use the "start/tiles" screen at all. Then you don't feel like you are on a windows 8 at all.
Sally