Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Windows 10 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-10-a-t266153.html)

slbram17 06-07-2015 06:14 PM

Windows 10

I have been getting a little notice that I can reserve a copy of Windows 10 to upgrade my pc. Here's a link to some of the changes and I am not sure I want Windows 10....

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/win...en-you-upgrade

I would miss Windows Media Center and my Solitaire game, just to mention a few. My embroidery machine uses floppy disks, and that will no longer be supported from what I understand.

QuiltnLady1 06-07-2015 06:49 PM

I would agree -- I use Media Center all the time (I run my TV through it) so that machine won't be upgraded. Floppy disks --don't use them. Don't remember what is in the Solitaire pack -- I used it on the plane and played free cell. I like to install my upgrades when I want them so I will have to get the pro version.

I will probably get a new machine with Windows 10 (when I get the $$) and not upgrade anything I have.

slbram17 06-07-2015 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1 (Post 7220182)
I would agree -- I use Media Center all the time (I run my TV through it) so that machine won't be upgraded. Floppy disks --don't use them. Don't remember what is in the Solitaire pack -- I used it on the plane and played free cell. I like to install my upgrades when I want them so I will have to get the pro version.

I will probably get a new machine with Windows 10 (when I get the $$) and not upgrade anything I have.

I thought about that, just keeping my laptop as is. It has its issues but pretty sure I am going to leave it as is for now. Once Windows 10 hits, I will just sit back and read all the comments about it.

sandy l 06-08-2015 03:00 AM

Hope they don't do away with Window 8 when 10 comes out. Had enough trouble learning 8, and I'm getting too old for all that hassle.:)

patricej 06-08-2015 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by sandy l (Post 7220331)
Hope they don't do away with Window 8 when 10 comes out. Had enough trouble learning 8, and I'm getting too old for all that hassle.:)

at first glance windows 10 looks very similar to 8, so you should be able to make the transition easily.
not the same for me. i still use 7 on my two primary computers.
i broke down and got a small 2-in-1 recently that uses 8.1 - which i do not like.

i will "upgrade" one to version 10 so i can play with it long enough to decide whether to transition all three.

Chasing Hawk 06-08-2015 06:45 AM

I am looking forward to Windows 10. I have already reserved my upgrades for my PC and Laptop.

bearisgray 06-08-2015 07:27 AM

Was there a Windows 9?

kayluvs2quilt 06-08-2015 02:01 PM

Windows skipped version 9. It took me a long time to get used to Windows 8 and 8.1. My computer uses Windows 7, my DH has Windows 8.1 with a 27" monitor and I love that one. Our laptop has Windows 8. We will wait until Windows 10 has it's bugs worked out and then will probably transition the desktops. It does get confusing once in a while when I try to use the touchscreen on a non-touchscreen.

Feather3 06-08-2015 08:09 PM

I use Windows 7 & may not upgrade. Reason being many older programs, printers, etc may not work on Windows 10. I had this happen when I upgraded to Windows 7 from XP. Had to go out & buy all new printers, copiers, etc. Some of my programs & games no longer worked. Even tho they say just download a new driver....well many companies do not have new drivers. They want you to buy all new stuff. That can get pretty expensive if you use an embroidery program that won't work on a newer OS.

Windows 10 is removing some things & one of them is the how the monthly service upgrades/downloads work....you no longer will have the option to choose what is downloaded onto your computer. It will be automatic.

So the FREE Windows 10 upgrade isn't really free if you have to spend a lot to keep all your stuff working. I'll hold out until the end for the free download or buy a new computer with it installed. By then the bugs will be worked out I hope.

They are saying this will be MS last OS, so in the future we may have to pay for all updates/upgrades to this OS. Or they may have us all pay a yearly fee just to keep it working. No one really knows what MS is planning yet.

bearisgray 06-09-2015 06:14 AM

Does anyone else ever think that these changes are just to force new sales - not really improvements in how the things worked?