Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Windows 10 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-10-a-t268209.html)

Jazzmyn 07-31-2015 12:26 PM

Windows 10

Anyone downloaded Windows 10? Pros & Cons?

I just downloaded it about an hour ago but have Not had time to see what all it does & does Not do.

Just wondering....Thanks.

Tiggersmom 07-31-2015 12:35 PM

Not me......I'm still on 7-8????? Give an update when you get it figured out.

Chasing Hawk 07-31-2015 12:39 PM

I haven't downloaded it yet either. But I did hear you can not turn off auto updates or even be notified before they download. I like to choose what I update on Windows, especially that cloud program. Since I don't use it I don't want it on my computer.
It supposedly conflicts with Nvidia video cards, which I use in my gaming rig. My laptop it doesn't matter cause it just for browsing and taking on trips.

Quilty-Louise 07-31-2015 01:01 PM

I have been running Windows 10 (insider technical review) since about
February.

Personally I like it, but than my computer is only about 1-1/2 years old
so it is a fairly updated (or at least it was when I bought it last year).

In my household I am usually the LAST person to do update to new OS
but this time I had it long (2-1/2 months) before my hubs.

I have not had any problems or conflicts with any program I have installed
on my computer. However I am still waiting to be able to get it installed on
my laptop and netbook.

sandy l 08-01-2015 03:08 AM

We were told at Best Buy that we could reserve a copy of it and then hold that for up to a year before we installed it, so I think that's what we'll do.

citruscountyquilter 08-01-2015 04:45 AM

I reserved a free copy and it downloaded but when I went to install it it wouldn't install. Still haven't figured out the problem yet but plan to use it if I can get it to work. My computer was new at Christmas.

canuckninepatch 08-01-2015 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzmyn (Post 7272960)
Anyone downloaded Windows 10? Pros & Cons?

I just downloaded it about an hour ago but have Not had time to see what all it does & does Not do.

Just wondering....Thanks.

I installed it a couple of days ago, and I was okay for the first day, and then it crashed......it's in for service as I write this......

linkd 08-01-2015 08:49 AM

I'm going to wait until I can try it in a store on a DESKTOP. Windows 8 was probably never looked at by anyone over 30 or on any platform that wasn't easily portable. My guess is that if 10 is okay (and wait for the reviews - maybe in AARP) you baby that computer because everything else is going to be in the cloud. Around here clouds usually - but not much this year - have rain. Water is bad for computers

Chasing Hawk 08-01-2015 09:10 AM

I installed Windows 10 on my laptop and it seems to be running fine. The laptop was upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, it took about a 1/2 hour to install.

I turned off several features I didn't like:
wireless password sharing for guests on your network.
Something that had to do with Social Media, which I do not use.
I asked to be notified when to restart after updates. (I wish I had more control over that)
And several other privacy invading items. I don't want Microsoft to mess with my browsing habits.
And on the start menu, several things got clicked off.

I am waiting awhile to install it on my gaming rig. NVIDIA released a patch to help with Windows 10.

slbram17 08-01-2015 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk (Post 7273769)
I installed Windows 10 on my laptop and it seems to be running fine. The laptop was upgraded from Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium, it took about a 1/2 hour to install.

I turned off several features I didn't like:
wireless password sharing for guests on your network.
Something that had to do with Social Media, which I do not use.
I asked to be notified when to restart after updates. (I wish I had more control over that)
And several other privacy invading items. I don't want Microsoft to mess with my browsing habits.
And on the start menu, several things got clicked off.

I am waiting awhile to install it on my gaming rig. NVIDIA released a patch to help with Windows 10.

Did Windows 10 replace your Internet Explorer browser? I read that it was being replaced with something called Edge? Also, I thought I understood that Windows 10 removed Windows Media Player, thus no longer reading your dvds/optical drive??