Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-xp-support-ends-april-8-2014-a-t241620.html)

thimblebug6000 02-20-2014 04:38 PM

Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014

So my poor old PC is going slower & slower & I took it in for a check up... they called to tell me... your computer is old the data needs to be transferred to a new computer.... not happening! BUT I took in my laptop & have everything transferred onto it now with it's Windows 7.... my PC is Windows XP and wouldn't you know microsoft isn't going to support updates etc. after April 8th this year! Not sure how many people this will affect, but I really loved my XP and now I'm going to have to learn something new... except of course, it's also almost obsolete! And of course... no matter what I try to do to speed up my old PC.... it's just slow...slow...slow. I was worried that something had attacked it, and I still don't know the answer to that, as they didn't even do a scan on it :(

hamchips88 02-20-2014 05:05 PM

yes april is d-day for me too. hope my sis inlaw when she comes to visit next month brings me a laptop. she has one for me. can't wait. my machine is running slow slow... as to learning curve again :(

Jazzmyn 02-20-2014 05:09 PM

Yep.......I have the same Slow problem with my PC & Windows XP. I really like XP, I know it is really outdated but it was much easier to use than Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I got an HP touch PC with Windows 7 on it then I got a lap top touch with Windows 8.1......I saw a difference from XP to 7 but nothing to drastic and I like 7. Now 8.1 is a whole other story that is for sure....haven't learned everything about 8.1 yet but then I don't think I ever learned everything about XP or 7. I am getting to old for all this techy stuff and having to learn new things....I just wish they would keep things simple....HA!!

Prism99 02-20-2014 05:46 PM

We are really glad we kept our old laptop with Windows XP on it. Some vocabulary software we bought years ago won't run on the newer operating systems, so dd is using it on the old laptop even though she has a new desktop computer.

QuiltnNan 02-20-2014 06:05 PM

old and cherished software is the reason i am keeping this old XP too. patricej says i'm rolling with the dinosaurs LOL

RobertaMarie 02-20-2014 09:11 PM

old and cherished software is the reason i am keeping this old XP too. patricej says i'm rolling with the dinosaurs LOL(quoted from QuiltnNan)
Count me among the dinosaurs too. I love my xp and really don't want to learn a new system at 80 years old! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! The new systems are not so easily learned as the old ones. Leave us in peace, please. LOL

alleyoop1 02-21-2014 04:59 AM

I am hanging on to XP on my old desk top computer because it is the operating system that will run my old embroidery software. I don't do enough embroidery to justify buying new software so I hang on to the old.

EllieGirl 02-21-2014 05:28 AM

DH just bought a new lap top because the old lap top was so slow. DH would try to use it for presentations and he was always getting these updates running during the presentations. It was sooooo veerrrryyy slow! I took all my family pictures off thinking that would help. The new lap top has Windows 8. I already posted my frustration on that. I'm glad I have a Mac!

dakotamaid 02-21-2014 05:39 AM

Hey ladies, if my 91 year old MIL can learn new systems so can you! :) Just put your mind to it. I also went from XP to windows 7 and it wasn't so bad. I had a direct phone line to my kids in college and just experimented alot. LOL!! Leave those dinosaurs behind in the dust!

Onebyone 02-21-2014 07:45 AM

I buy a new laptop every two years. I subscribe to Carbonite so it's easy to have all my photos and files installed on the new one with just one click. New technology is amazing but you won't know if you don't use it. I found the cheaper laptops work great for me. I never pay more then $300 for a new laptop. Don't be afraid of the cheaper ones, they work just fine for personal use. I use it for photos, quilt files, email and internet. I use Open Office for creating documents and pdf files.