Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014

Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014

So my poor old PC is going slower & slower & I took it in for a check up... they called to tell me... your computer is old the data needs to be transferred to a new computer.... not happening! BUT I took in my laptop & have everything transferred onto it now with it's Windows 7.... my PC is Windows XP and wouldn't you know microsoft isn't going to support updates etc. after April 8th this year! Not sure how many people this will affect, but I really loved my XP and now I'm going to have to learn something new... except of course, it's also almost obsolete! And of course... no matter what I try to do to speed up my old PC.... it's just slow...slow...slow. I was worried that something had attacked it, and I still don't know the answer to that, as they didn't even do a scan on it

yes april is d-day for me too. hope my sis inlaw when she comes to visit next month brings me a laptop. she has one for me. can't wait. my machine is running slow slow... as to learning curve again
    ​DEBRA

Yep.......I have the same Slow problem with my PC & Windows XP. I really like XP, I know it is really outdated but it was much easier to use than Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. I got an HP touch PC with Windows 7 on it then I got a lap top touch with Windows 8.1......I saw a difference from XP to 7 but nothing to drastic and I like 7. Now 8.1 is a whole other story that is for sure....haven't learned everything about 8.1 yet but then I don't think I ever learned everything about XP or 7. I am getting to old for all this techy stuff and having to learn new things....I just wish they would keep things simple....HA!!
    Got-to Love those Dachshunds!!!!!

Quilters STITCH Together!!

Blog Entries
    We are really glad we kept our old laptop with Windows XP on it. Some vocabulary software we bought years ago won't run on the newer operating systems, so dd is using it on the old laptop even though she has a new desktop computer.

Blog Entries
    old and cherished software is the reason i am keeping this old XP too. patricej says i'm rolling with the dinosaurs LOL
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    old and cherished software is the reason i am keeping this old XP too. patricej says i'm rolling with the dinosaurs LOL(quoted from QuiltnNan)
    Count me among the dinosaurs too. I love my xp and really don't want to learn a new system at 80 years old! If it ain't broke, don't fix it!! The new systems are not so easily learned as the old ones. Leave us in peace, please. LOL

I am hanging on to XP on my old desk top computer because it is the operating system that will run my old embroidery software. I don't do enough embroidery to justify buying new software so I hang on to the old.

DH just bought a new lap top because the old lap top was so slow. DH would try to use it for presentations and he was always getting these updates running during the presentations. It was sooooo veerrrryyy slow! I took all my family pictures off thinking that would help. The new lap top has Windows 8. I already posted my frustration on that. I'm glad I have a Mac!

Hey ladies, if my 91 year old MIL can learn new systems so can you! Just put your mind to it. I also went from XP to windows 7 and it wasn't so bad. I had a direct phone line to my kids in college and just experimented alot. LOL!! Leave those dinosaurs behind in the dust!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

I buy a new laptop every two years. I subscribe to Carbonite so it's easy to have all my photos and files installed on the new one with just one click. New technology is amazing but you won't know if you don't use it. I found the cheaper laptops work great for me. I never pay more then $300 for a new laptop. Don't be afraid of the cheaper ones, they work just fine for personal use. I use it for photos, quilt files, email and internet. I use Open Office for creating documents and pdf files.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

Count me in as one of the dinosaurs because I still use XP and don't want to change. Hubby says that I can continue to use it, but without updates. And yes, it does run slow. I do get tired of these big companies and their greediness. We don't buy new machines, my hubby builds ours, so we will have to buy the software if it ever becomes affordable. Never probably.
    Have a blessed day.

Linda

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    old and cherished software is the reason i am keeping this old XP too. patricej says i'm rolling with the dinosaurs LOL
    Well PatriceJ, I am also rolling with the dinosaurs. I had Window"98 on my previous computer and had no problems with it after many years after Microsoft pulled the plug. XP is the best operating system Microsoft ever developed. Every new release has had many problem they sweated to get fixed. Maybe with a new CEO, they will realize it is valuable to keep us dinosaurs safe. How else do you think they are going to make any money?? Not from me.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I thought they discontinued support on XP a long time ago. I loved my XP but eventually got a new one with Win7 it is ok, I hate Win8 which my husband has and refuse to learn that. I read the other day that HP is going to offer their computers again with Win7, if you are interested in a HP.

I too used my XP until it was almost on it's last gasp. I had a brand new laptop that was given to me for my BD in 2012 for my 80th. I just let it sit, all that time, but this year, I had to find out how to use 7, whether I wanted to or not. There are many things about it that I am not crazy about and make life more difficult than need be, but I guess 8 is even much worse and even the tech savvy don't like it much. Guess they have to make them obsolete to sell new ones. The PITTS!
    Yooper32 aka: Donna B

The office I work in, just upgraded our computers, I asked why we had to...Large Expense...the computer tech told me when Microsoft quits supporting XP, it will be a free for all for HACKERS, VIRUS's....etc
    Dyan

Quote Originally Posted by alleyoop1 View Post
    I am hanging on to XP on my old desk top computer because it is the operating system that will run my old embroidery software. I don't do enough embroidery to justify buying new software so I hang on to the old.
    . Same here with me...and because I just love the system. Powers that be say you can continue with XP if you keep it protected with good security ware...it will be usable for quite a long time. The newer OS's win7 & 8 will run some of the emb softwares if the processor is 32 bit (64 bit you're outta luck)...at least PE Design will still work. I have hoarded laptops with XP and I plan to just use for my embroidery...OFF LINE. I won't have to worry about virus and hacking!

Quote Originally Posted by quiltinglady-1 View Post
    Count me in as one of the dinosaurs because I still use XP and don't want to change. Hubby says that I can continue to use it, but without updates. And yes, it does run slow. I do get tired of these big companies and their greediness. We don't buy new machines, my hubby builds ours, so we will have to buy the software if it ever becomes affordable. Never probably.
    I, too, will continue to use XP. My computer technician tells me that I can still use it without the updates, just keep my anti-virus and malware up to date.

Blog Entries
    I still have a PC with XP, I did like it a lot, I also have one with Vista and a Lap Top with W7 and now I have a Lap Top with W8, I have had no problems learning about it. There are tutorials that will help you, also just google it and you will find all the answers. If yo use a smart phone it is not much difference. If you don't stay up with the changes it is harder to understand. New PC's are so much faster now. As long as I can do what is necessary for me to do I am ok with it. I think PC's are like life, it just gets more added on and harder to handle sometimes, we just have to keep up with it as we go, lol.....good luck with the changes.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    *** Ditto here.
    *** Have a Dell with XP (bought Sept. 2006) and love it, but
    *** Slow, slow, slow.
    *** Keeping it cause I can't afford any thing else (SS does not stretch any further).
    J J (jbj137)

I am a G.R.I.T.
    G = girl R =raised I = in T = the S = South

Blog Entries
    Through the years I have had at least a half dozen different Windows. So far the XP has been the best one for me. It was the easiest to learn and navigate and it loaded info before I released the mouse clicker. But these last 3 weeks it has been frustrating as heck. 20 to 30 minutes to be able to open any mail after turning it on in the morning. - it feels like dial-up would be faster. And my son the computer wizard has moved back to Ohio so I have no idea how to reprogram to the next best windows program and keep all the old programs-bookmarks and files etc etc . So now what do I do ? And how do I do it ? I have not found that ''new and improved'' is always an ''improvement''

Blog Entries
    Through the years I have had at least a half dozen different Windows. So far the XP has been the best one for me. It was the easiest to learn and navigate and it loaded info before I released the mouse clicker. But these last 3 weeks it has been frustrating as heck. 20 to 30 minutes to be able to open any mail after turning it on in the morning. - it feels like dial-up would be faster. And my son the computer wizard has moved back to Ohio so I have no idea how to reprogram to the next best windows program and keep all the old programs-bookmarks and files etc etc . Now what do I do ? And how do I do it ? I have not found that ''new and improved'' is always an ''improvement''

I noticed the last time we were at DH's doctor's office, THEIR computers run XP. Not gonna worry about it too much.

Yes, Jazzmyn, I too wish they would keep things simple!
    I had to give up my XP for the same reason - slow. Slow. SLOW!
    And about to lose all support.
    Now I have Windows 8. Hate it.
    Last edited by GrammieJan; 02-22-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    To stay in business I have to learn the new stuff/software and it is a pain in the derrier. I keep telling everyone I was doing just fine. Many of our offices are going paperless. So I've had to resort to a laptop and tablet. I'm right now using my pc and yep it's slow. Often locks up after about 1-1 1/2 hours. Also if I pull up a few too many windows. I do a lot of research and that is a pain when it all locks up and I have to restart the computer.

I absolutely hate windows 8, very difficult to navigate and find important things. Its about as awful as vista. I wish they would let you choose the OS when you buy a laptop
    Brother (XL-3500i, CV3550, SQ-9050, Dreamweaver XE6200D), Juki MO-2000QVP, Handiquilter Avante

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast