Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014 >

Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014

Windows XP support ends April 8, 2014

Old 02-27-2014, 05:24 AM

I heard somewhere that some shop was telling people they could have w7 instead of w8 because so many people hated w8. I have it aand am able to use it ok. I think a lot of people would like to see w7 stay, lol...I like vista, that is what I use most. I also have wxp that I use for old programs. I will try to keep it up and going for that reason. Sorry Girls but instead of getting better I think it will only get worse. I just try to keep up so I can keep an updated PC
Old 02-27-2014, 12:18 PM

Don't panic! Remember, the bottom line is that salesmen SELL things, and that includes new operating systems. Read this from a newsletter I get from a Canadian guy (http://[email protected]) who has saved my bacon several times with his profound computer savvy, and save your panic for something that deserves it - like the state of our country (or what used to be our country). Helmut has a unique way of cutting through the rumors and emotions to get to the essence of things. Following is a quote from today's newsletter (all credit to Helmut):

Tech Support Pits
Re: XP fearmongering

Dear Webby,
I wrote to you back in January regarding the no support issue for XP after April 8th. I’ve been reading more info and getting more confused. I have a couple of questions to ask you because I don’t want to have to buy a new computer right now.

If I keep my old computer with XP & continue to use Internet Explorer & Outlook Express (Also use Kasperksy), will I be ok from Hackers, etc? Or would I be any safer using Chrome as my default browser while still using Outlook Express?

A employee at a "store" that sells computers said I could keep XP and change to Chrome and still be able to use
Outlook Express for my mail.

Thank you so much for your time, Darla.

Dear Darla -
Your XP with Kasperski and IE and Outlook Express will continue to function as usual. Just because you are cute
and sexy, that does not mean the hackers will stop trying to break into banks and government, and suddenly focus
on you.

Keep in mind that industry and commerce uses 55% Linux and 45% XP. The ones that use XP all have a Linux "Live CD' in a drawer and can switch to Linux in minutes. All the store POS (Point Of Sale) machines run fine on Linux, but nobody in their right mind would try to run them on W7. For W7 and W8, they would have to replace the machines.

While that would delight Microsoft and their Asian computer manufacturing businesses, industry and commerce does not consider that a justifiable business expense, not when everything runs just fine on XP or Linux.

Any hostile action by Microsoft against XP users will just drive Industry and Commerce to Linux. So, don't panic
about the sales hype.

Outlook Express is on Death Row. It would probably be a good idea to start getting used to an email program that is viable. I still use Eudora, and have since 1993. The modern version of it, using the source code of it, is Thunderbird. I have never heard anything bad about it. You might want to look at Thunderbird and get familiar with it.

The major difference between Eudora and Thunderbird is that Thunderbird has a Linux version. That way, if you some day have to replace your XP when it dies of old age, and you get fed up with W8 and switch to Linux, you are already comfortable with the email program.

The same goes for browsers. FireFox is the same on Windows and Linux.

Have FUN!
DearWebby