Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   windows xp is (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-xp-t231090.html)

Tweety2911 09-26-2013 04:04 AM

GROAN!!! Bring back the days that things lasted for 30 years without replacement!!!

alwayslearning 09-26-2013 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter (Post 6313973)
You will still be able to use it. It will just no longer be supported by Windows. No new "fixes" will be released. Your anti-virus/anti-malware software should still protect you. New programs may not run on it, but unless you are doing software upgrades it will not be a problem for a long time.

Don't panic. Do some research. Many of the IT sites are recommending home computers just not worry about it.

thanks! This is exactly what I was going to say. You will no longer get updates and "fixes", you know the ones that can screw up your system and have to be fixed. Unfortunately, for me, I need a new computer and I do not like the new operating systems.

BellaBoo 09-26-2013 06:00 AM

Most new computer with Windows 8 there is an option to go classic view. I upgrade with each new operating system so the learning curve is simple to adjust to. It's stressful skipping several versions and then trying to relearn. As for a most older software, try selecting run this program in ____ version. That works for a lot of them.

sandpat 09-26-2013 07:36 PM

I too have an embroidery program that will only run on XP. I just bought an old laptop with XP on it for that express purpose. I'm guarding it so that I can use that program on it. It would cost me about $800. for the program now that would run on a newer version of computer. $125 bucks for an old laptop sounded like a bargain and it will hold me for awhile.

In the meantime, my laptop with win7 crashed. I now have Win8. Its not too bad, really. Just works more like your smart phone....lots of swiping, tapping and poking. ;) If you really don't want to go Win8...you can always go Apple....

Stitchit123 09-27-2013 03:16 AM

My son and DIL are computer programers so I will have to tell him and see what is what cause I too have xp and I like it.I really do not like changes. Man I just learned how to post pictures yesterday now I will have to learn a new way on a new whatever--I'm going back to bed : )

hamchips88 09-27-2013 04:13 AM

stitchit. let me know what your son and dil come up with. i am interested in how i can still have my computer i am use to this. like you i do not like changes. thank you

Belfrybat 09-27-2013 04:51 AM

No need to panic -- XP will work fine after April. It will be several years before virus protection and firewall programs quit supporting it--just make sure to keep them updated regularly. And if you haven't done so, make sure your XP is updated by Microsoft until April. After April, just do regular back-ups like you are supposed to do anyway and you will probably not experience any problems. Heck, I connected to the internet a few months ago with an old Win98 computer just to see if it would still work. It was slower than molasses, but it did connect. I have an XP I use with my embroidery machine and to run a few programs I like that would not run on Win7.
Many companies still use XP, so it's not going away any time soon. Actually some folks think a third part company might pick up doing updates, but I haven't heard anything firm about that.

sparkys_mom 09-27-2013 05:00 AM

I got so fed up with Windows and all the Microsoft applications that I bought a MAC. I've had it for about five years now and just love it. Yes, it was more expensive but a lot of stuff comes with it and they aren't constantly hammering you with changes and upgrades.

oldtnquiltinglady 09-27-2013 08:43 AM

One thank you for the MAC answer just above me.....I haven't done too well learning XP that I have, don't even know what it is, so changing over to a MAC might not be so bad. I have been trying for years to get someone to give or fix a computer for me so I can use my Designer I program on a HV that I bought used, and still don't know how to use (maybe four years now)......No luck. But I am going to beat this yet. You watch and see.....

Bobbielinks 09-27-2013 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by hamchips88 (Post 6313803)
oh! and they say not to use xp cause it will not be protecting your computer anymore from viruses or anything

I purchased a new computer a few weeks ago. Had XP on my old one. My local tech/sales person told me that as of April 2014 XP would be retired and Windows would no longer keep anti virus programs current for it. He also said that a person could still run the XP, but attackers would be out looking for those of us who still ran it, because we would be easy targets. Just passing on what I was told.