Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   windows xp is (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/windows-xp-t231090.html)

IBQUILTIN 09-27-2013 09:28 AM

I agree with sandy 1. I just got a new computer with windows8, and if this thing wasn't so heavy, I'd heave it out the window at least two or three times a day. I am computer illiterate enough without having to start over with 8. This one has the touch screen and is a large screen I thought would be great for tutorials and such. I will learn, I will learn, I will learn

MaggieLou 09-27-2013 11:30 AM

I just got a new computer running Windows 8. My old one ran XP. After fighting the transfer program for several days I finally got things transferred. So far (fingers crossed) I'm not having too much trouble figuring it out. My old computer didn't have enough memory and I couldn't upgrade it any more plus XP wasn't going to be supported after April 2014. All my programs seem to be running OK. Some I've had since 2003 so I guess I won't have to buy new programs yet.

Debbie Ness 09-27-2013 02:03 PM

Those of you that are struggling with Windows 8, do what I did. I downloaded a small program called 'classic shell', google it and many sites come up that offer it. when downloaded, you can make your Windows 8 look and run like XP or Windows 7 if you are used to that. Sooo much better than trying to learn a new operating system.

quiltapillow 09-28-2013 03:41 PM

Well,,,,,,with all the streaming video taking over; don't really know if the internet will stay the same as it is now. We may all be out and off the internet. The airwaves can only take so much crossover streams. Even now in some communities people are being interrupted and cutoff. You know like the old Party Line phones--now you know how old I am. So, not sure how things are going to go. Maybe we ought to consider going to visit as we use to and write letters. I too, have XP but perfer my Compact 2000, it still runs and my programs but I have not upgraded it and it is not on line but looks like a monument on the desk. To print I just use the flash drive and take what I want to the xp and print.

nangars 09-29-2013 03:40 PM

Well I upgraded to Win7 and I don't like it at all, took two weeks to get it up and running 1/2 way, still has problems and I still end up with viruses have IYopi work on the computer all the time, more problems since I upgraded, and they say that windows 8 is worse.

If I had it to do over wouldn't have upgraded, went something is working good why not leave it alone. If you upgrade from XP you will need a lot of help. I couldn't get my external hard drive to work, I ended up playing with it myself and got it up and running. I keep all my embroidery designs on that, just in case the computer dies, will not loose the designs. Plus other important things like my Genealogy. To many year of things to loose everything.

ptquilts 09-30-2013 05:45 AM

I just bought a new-to-me laptop with Win XP, but it only cost me $40 or so, not gonna worry about it!

Nanamoms 09-30-2013 09:49 PM

Oh yes, XP which I love. Have one laptop with XP on it and many of my embroidery programs run on XP. There are still many techs who have XP saved on thumb drives (believe it!!) and will support it. These are private techs so you will probably have to pay for support as needed but at least it's still available.

I was just learning Windows 7 because my desktop crashed and I had to purchase a new one. I also just purchased a Laptop with Windows 8 which is so totally different. I do have an iphone 3G which I still can't use well so all the swiping was so foreign to me. My 3yo grandson actually can use it better than I can! LOL

I'm going to try to keep my XP for use with my embroidery machine because it takes the USB cord and not a thumb drive so I'm not sure if it will "read" anything from Windows 7 or 8. I'm not going to surf the web with it though, mainly because my modem died and ATT/Yahoo cannot get the "new" one to work on XP...and they won't help you with it unless you sign up for their 3rd party service! Uggghhhhh!!

Another drawback to XP is that many of the new printers won't sync with it. So always double check that!

I'm of the generation that if it isn't broken, don't mess with it!! But I guess they want to sell new operating systems!

mermaid 10-01-2013 05:22 AM

Nanomoms...me too! I have laptops with XP which I am hoarding for using my embroidery softwares on. I mentioned to my computer tech that I planned to continue using XP but would not be going on line. I asked, "that should work, shouldn't it?" He replied, " Hmmm, that's interesting!" So it is my plan, and my main on line computer will limp along on XP until disaster. LOL