Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Would you buy this? Please reply. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/would-you-buy-please-reply-t227007.html)

QuilterMomOf3 08-01-2013 03:29 AM

Would you buy this? Please reply.

4 Attachment(s)
Would you buy this? If so, how much would you be willing to pay? I'm starting up a small business run from my craft room & am having a difficult time pricing my work... I can provide more info, such as size, if needed.
Please help me.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427541[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427542[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427543[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]427544[/ATTACH]

mermaid 08-01-2013 03:36 AM

Very cute! Can't help you as I have no grandies or little ones to give me experience with toys. Good luck in your venture

homebody323 08-01-2013 03:48 AM

I agree, very cute. People never want to pay what things are worth in time and materials. I have long since given up that idea. I started in '80 with a small craft business in California - did a few shows and sold enough to break even.I did have a lady stand right there in front of me and take apart a cute little basket pincushion and then stuff it all back together and say "just wanted to see how you did it so I could make some myself". I would probably price the cute animal at about $28. Something about $30 says too much. Price one - if it sells fast - too cheap. If it doesn't sell - put it on sale. Then decide if you really want to do it. The eyes concern me as a potential law suit. It's amazing that the smaller neighbor child of the girl who gets this can pull the eyes off - choke on one of them and you get sued. I see the longarm in the backround. How about making some table runners from scraps, some baby quilts using the 3 for 1 method and elimate the risk and all the time involved in the cute animals? A pile of xmas or regular table runners at a fall craft show might prove to be a better money maker - less storage and transportation problems, less risk. If you are going to make quilted items and have to buy fabrics - consider taking a look at Marshalls Dry Goods. One of my favorite websites. Good luck.

dakotamaid 08-01-2013 04:07 AM

My SIL does craft shows and such. She does things that take little time but look like they are complicated. Your little guy is so CUTE...............but he looks like he takes some time to do. :) So the second question for you would be, is he cost/time effective to make you some money. :)

QuilterMomOf3 08-01-2013 04:22 AM

Originally Posted by homebody323 (Post 6208272)
I agree, very cute. People never want to pay what things are worth in time and materials. I have long since given up that idea. I started in '80 with a small craft business in California - did a few shows and sold enough to break even.I did have a lady stand right there in front of me and take apart a cute little basket pincushion and then stuff it all back together and say "just wanted to see how you did it so I could make some myself". I would probably price the cute animal at about $28. Something about $30 says too much. Price one - if it sells fast - too cheap. If it doesn't sell - put it on sale. Then decide if you really want to do it. The eyes concern me as a potential law suit. It's amazing that the smaller neighbor child of the girl who gets this can pull the eyes off - choke on one of them and you get sued. I see the longarm in the backround. How about making some table runners from scraps, some baby quilts using the 3 for 1 method and elimate the risk and all the time involved in the cute animals? A pile of xmas or regular table runners at a fall craft show might prove to be a better money maker - less storage and transportation problems, less risk. If you are going to make quilted items and have to buy fabrics - consider taking a look at Marshalls Dry Goods. One of my favorite websites. Good luck.

As far as the safety eyes are concerned, I could choose to embroider eyes on instead. And as of yet, people seem MUCH more interested in buying stuffed animals or plushies than quilts or table runners.

I've been trying to sell quilts for approx 4 years and have only sold 3 baby quilts and one full-size quilt. I've been sewing stuffed creations for approx 2 years, and have had dozens of people want to buy them, but I didn't have a price.

BellaBoo 08-01-2013 05:17 AM

I think it's adorable and would buy it if my grandaughter was with me and wanted one. IF it was washable, the eye were sewn on and the nose centered, (in the pic one side of the nose has a pink gap) For craft selling all the details have to be almost perfect. Check with small independent shops and ask if you can set up a display and sell on commission. I see a lot of craft items for sale at nail salons, beauty shops, tanning, etc.

tessagin 08-01-2013 05:30 AM

Do you have the pattern? The price of the material called for, time it took to make it and don't forget the stuffing and the thread. Always keep track of your receipts and make a copy of the receipts since many receipts are on thermal paper and they fade. This will help if you ever get audited. Make a menu/chart for your records and for each project and size and what you will charge each item such as sm, med., large., etc. Good Luck!

tessagin 08-01-2013 05:39 AM

Here in Corpus Christi, we have a shop called Cody's Collectible's. A booth space is rented depending on size needed. I believe you pay so much a month and sit in the shop for a couple hours a week and that is a deduction toward the space or they collect a percentage of the sales. I would check to see if there is something like that in your area. Crafts and antiques are sold there. You could also see what they're charging for their crafts and just check the details of the crafts.

pocoellie 08-01-2013 05:55 AM

It's very cute and I wish you luck in your new endeavor, I wouldn't buy it because I have no young children at home, and my granddaughter is 20. They say how to price your work is, 3 times the amount that you spend on the supplies, including thread.

mighty 08-01-2013 06:28 AM

That is something I would certainly buy for a little one.