Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Would you... theoretically speaking? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/would-you-theoretically-speaking-t270375.html)

Bubbie 09-26-2015 06:59 AM

If YOU don't teach these kids how to think "outside of the box", who will. When my DD was a toddler, I found myself on my own. Friends wanted to help so I was given a lot of things (and some of this was far from my taste), I was given a bed covering that I didn't have a use for. We had snow that year and my DD wanted to play outside, I didn't have a snow suite for her. But I had an overall pants pattern for a little one, and this print quilted bed thing (it was not home made). So I washed it and then pulled out the pattern and started cutting. Using my sewing stash I made a snow suite for a toddler from flannel and the bed cover. This outfit was very cute and I had people always asking "Ware did you get that outfit"? I made a couple more using different flannel to help change them up. I tried to teach my DD, that you can ALWAYS find a treasure if you look. Don't let the people stop you from helping these kids, because the kids will remember what you are taking the time to teach them for a life time.

jbj137 09-26-2015 07:42 AM

*** Go after the fabric any way you can.
*** The kids will love it because they made it.
*** Look out quilters, here comes another crop of future quilters.

sandybeach 09-26-2015 08:44 AM

Why not approach your local Quilt Guild? Ours has "tons" of donated fabric and batting. Plus they have a stitch-in on one Saturday a month. Ask if perhaps on one of these stitch-in days there might be ladies that would volunteer their time and supplies to each help one of the 4-H kids with their project. That way they do not have to spend any money and can still complete the task.

jothesewer2 09-26-2015 10:25 AM

You might contact a quilting store or Joann's, since it is for 4-H they may donate some end pieces or sale fabric, as for rulers, cutters and other supplies the kids themselves might know someone that quilts that has extra or old cutting mats that can be used on the back side. Teach them how to make their own templets from something recycled is a way to save money. Learning thrift at an early age is a life lesson.
I think you have a fantastic idea.

Wanabee Quiltin 09-26-2015 02:50 PM

I think asking others for fabric is a great idea. Once I went to a yard sale and there was some really bright fabric for sale quite cheaply. My DGD was with me and loved the fabric. When I bought it, the two ladies asked me what in the world I would ever use it for, in their opinion, it was not worth anything. But my granddaughter loved it, so what I think and what others think are two different things. Go ahead and ask, if you lived closer to me, I'd donate.

rosiewell 09-26-2015 03:28 PM

I would ask for orphan blocks too, it is amazing what you can do with those.

coopah 09-27-2015 04:42 AM

There's a naysayer in every group. I am tired of it. Why can't people look for the good? AS others have mentioned, buying from thrift stores, sharing. etc. In your case, it could be that some families would welcome any fabric to help with the family budget. I grew up eating white rice with milk and sugar for dinner...a project like that would have made me quit the group. Better to give options and let the participants decide. I'm glad that lady has more than she needs for her life, but she shouldn't impose her will on those with less.

joym 09-27-2015 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by BETTY62 (Post 7327166)
I would go with your suggestions of where to get fabric as there are a lot of kids whose families just don't have the money to buy it in their budget. It would also teach the kids that being thrifty and recycling is a good thing that can have awesome results.

I totally agree.....I recently found some unused, pretty sheets at thrift stores.

willferg 09-27-2015 07:36 AM

I think your ideas are great. I have lots of fabric I thought I would use, but now it just sits. I donate fabric all the time! Ignore that lady...

kelsunshine 09-27-2015 11:03 AM

I think your idea is great.
Ask the negative lady if she would like to purchase some lovely fabric and donate it. LOL :D:D