Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/yarn-suggestions-knitting-friend-t292885.html)

willferg 11-27-2017 05:56 AM

Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend

I'd love suggestions from any of you who knit for unusual/unique/special types of yarn. I have a good friend who knits, and yarn is to her what fabric is to me. I would love to get her some special yarn, but I don't know a thing about it. I know the colors she likes, but that's about it. Thanks!

QuiltnNan 11-27-2017 06:23 AM

if you don't get the answers you want here, you might try Ravelry or Knitting Paradise forums

SusieQOH 11-27-2017 06:25 AM

Hard to give you an answer because there are so many lovely yarns to work with. I agree- check Ravelry or a forum.

roguequilter 11-27-2017 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by willferg (Post 7951436)
I'd love suggestions from any of you who knit for unusual/unique/special types of yarn. I have a good friend who knits, and yarn is to her what fabric is to me. I would love to get her some special yarn, but I don't know a thing about it. I know the colors she likes, but that's about it. Thanks!

i knit, chrochet & quilt. i also do needlepoint, crewel embroidery ..all yarn needlework styles. yarns are specific to projects. even with sweaters, which i used to knit many of, there is a wide variety of yarns used. other than asking her for a much desired "wish i could afford ...", i would be more inclined to give her a gift certificate to a site or store that sells good quality yarn. also, there are as many wonderful notions for knitting as there are for quilting. so, a gift certificate could also be used for a long wished for notion. knitpics is one online site that sells quality yarn & notions ..or go shopping with her next time she buys yarn & then later you could get her a gift certificate to that store. i have given gift certificates a few times and i really prefer to give large wrapped yummy looking gift ..so ..i put the certificate in card and then place in large box with padding :) ..lot of fun watching the facial reactions as they go thru the layers and i have never ever not gotten a loud wonderful cheer when they got down to the gift certificate!
...and bless you for being such a thoughtful gift giver.

Prism99 11-27-2017 11:00 AM

I think a gift card to a shop that specializes in great yarn would be best. At this point in my life, I'd hate for someone to give me quilting fabrics; I'd rather pick out what I want myself!

sewbizgirl 11-27-2017 11:50 AM

Some nice sock yarn would make a lovely gift... if she knits socks. What does she like to knit?

bearisgray 11-27-2017 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 (Post 7951623)
I think a gift card to a shop that specializes in great yarn would be best. At this point in my life, I'd hate for someone to give me quilting fabrics; I'd rather pick out what I want myself!

I also think a gift certificate would be great - do you know where she usually shops?

Or, if you don't know - you could give her cleverly wrapped cash with a note telling her that you would like her to indulge her passion for knitting - either with yarn or gadgets/tools. She might be wanting to try a different store/shop than her usual one.

Do you drive? You might take her to lunch and then shopping?

leonf 11-27-2017 03:21 PM

Was married to a knitter, dating a knitter now. No way I would buy yarn. Or even needles. They always know exactly how much they want and what type. Gift cards.

SusieQOH 11-27-2017 06:54 PM

Yup- I agree that gift cards are the way to go.

jokir44 11-27-2017 07:18 PM

Just too many variables to consider. Weight of yarn, degree of twist, color, allergies, machine washable and dryable-or not. I'm voting with the gift card crew. That would make me the happiest.