Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend >

Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend

Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend

Old 11-27-2017, 05:56 AM

Default Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend

I'd love suggestions from any of you who knit for unusual/unique/special types of yarn. I have a good friend who knits, and yarn is to her what fabric is to me. I would love to get her some special yarn, but I don't know a thing about it. I know the colors she likes, but that's about it. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2017, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

if you don't get the answers you want here, you might try Ravelry or Knitting Paradise forums
Old 11-27-2017, 06:25 AM
Power Poster

Hard to give you an answer because there are so many lovely yarns to work with. I agree- check Ravelry or a forum.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by willferg View Post
I'd love suggestions from any of you who knit for unusual/unique/special types of yarn. I have a good friend who knits, and yarn is to her what fabric is to me. I would love to get her some special yarn, but I don't know a thing about it. I know the colors she likes, but that's about it. Thanks!
i knit, chrochet & quilt. i also do needlepoint, crewel embroidery ..all yarn needlework styles. yarns are specific to projects. even with sweaters, which i used to knit many of, there is a wide variety of yarns used. other than asking her for a much desired "wish i could afford ...", i would be more inclined to give her a gift certificate to a site or store that sells good quality yarn. also, there are as many wonderful notions for knitting as there are for quilting. so, a gift certificate could also be used for a long wished for notion. knitpics is one online site that sells quality yarn & notions ..or go shopping with her next time she buys yarn & then later you could get her a gift certificate to that store. i have given gift certificates a few times and i really prefer to give large wrapped yummy looking gift ..so ..i put the certificate in card and then place in large box with padding ..lot of fun watching the facial reactions as they go thru the layers and i have never ever not gotten a loud wonderful cheer when they got down to the gift certificate!
...and bless you for being such a thoughtful gift giver.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:00 AM
Power Poster

I think a gift card to a shop that specializes in great yarn would be best. At this point in my life, I'd hate for someone to give me quilting fabrics; I'd rather pick out what I want myself!
Old 11-27-2017, 11:50 AM
Power Poster

Some nice sock yarn would make a lovely gift... if she knits socks. What does she like to knit?
Old 11-27-2017, 01:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I think a gift card to a shop that specializes in great yarn would be best. At this point in my life, I'd hate for someone to give me quilting fabrics; I'd rather pick out what I want myself!
I also think a gift certificate would be great - do you know where she usually shops?

Or, if you don't know - you could give her cleverly wrapped cash with a note telling her that you would like her to indulge her passion for knitting - either with yarn or gadgets/tools. She might be wanting to try a different store/shop than her usual one.

Do you drive? You might take her to lunch and then shopping?
Old 11-27-2017, 03:21 PM

Was married to a knitter, dating a knitter now. No way I would buy yarn. Or even needles. They always know exactly how much they want and what type. Gift cards.
Old 11-27-2017, 06:54 PM
Power Poster

Yup- I agree that gift cards are the way to go.
Old 11-27-2017, 07:18 PM

Just too many variables to consider. Weight of yarn, degree of twist, color, allergies, machine washable and dryable-or not. I'm voting with the gift card crew. That would make me the happiest.