Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend >

Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend

Yarn suggestions for a knitting friend

Old 11-27-2017, 08:48 PM
Power Poster

If I give any gifts to anyone over the age of ten or so I give gift cards or money. Would rather they buy what they need or want.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:36 PM

I have always wanted to try using alpaca yarn - the yarn shop I can buy the alpaca it is just too costly. I thought about making a scarf for my daughter but had no idea how many balls of yarn it would take.

But I have to agree with the others - it is better to give her a gift certificate or make sure it is something she can exchange.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:09 AM

quiltingcandy, Alpaca is lovely to work with. I made a pair of socks with it and they are wonderfully warm with very little bulk. I understand it doesn't wear very well for socks but I have had no problems.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 11-29-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: remove shouting/ all CAPS
Old 11-28-2017, 06:59 AM

Quiltingcandy. I love Alpaca. I have friends with a few. I went to the shearing and brought some home to card and drop spindle. I had preferences amongst the animals for working their fiber.
Old 11-28-2017, 07:43 AM

I knit & crochet as well as quilt. I do prefer a nice hand no matter the fiber I'm currently using for the project. Right now, I have a baby alpaca/merino blend and it is simply awesome. Made by Cascade. Would I love some more? YES!!! But I'd want a gift certificate or cash so I can pick out the color or change my mind & buy a different yarn with different fiber content. Go with the gift certicate or cash for your knitting friend.
Old 11-28-2017, 09:31 PM

Quiltnan has the right idea. Ravelry is a great place to go for knitting and yard advice. You will not believe the different kinds and color combinations of yarns from all over the world. Have fun looking for and choosing the yarn.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:54 AM

Thank you for the replies. I understand the practicality of a gift certificate, but she can easily afford to buy whatever she wants. I was thinking along the lines of some specialty or new, popular yarn and getting her a skein or two for fun, much as if she picked out a yard of quilting fabric for me that she thought was cute. I don't know what she usually buys for herself; she often makes sweaters for babies of her acquaintance, and she uses basic Red Heart yarn for Project Linus blankets. I will check out the alpaca blends and see if something strikes my fancy. Thanks!