Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you a "Crazy" Shopper? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-%22crazy%22-shopper-t77293.html)

lauriejo 11-19-2010 04:37 AM

I did it once, DS was little and convinced myself I had to get the toy he wanted so badly. It was a major hoot! Stood in line outside the store for about 45 minutes waiting for it to open, talking and laughing with the other crazies. We had fun. AND I got the toy, went home and warmed my toesies. Fortunately the weather was decent. DS absolutely loved the toy, and played with it for a couple years even. This was about 15 years ago, and I don't think I would do it now. Way more nasties now.

Juliebelle 11-19-2010 04:40 AM

I used to do it years ago but not in the last 10 years, too many people and too much hassle. I find now I do a lot more online and I also buy all year long when I see things that would be good presents.

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-19-2010 04:47 AM

NO WAY. NO HOW. There is nothing I want bad enough to stand outside a store in the cold hoping to get a bargain.

lauriejo 11-19-2010 04:51 AM

I normally shop all year round and stash the stuff away. By this time of year I am pretty much done. I love being out with the Christmas crowds, but with no pressure to have to buy. I used to work in retail, sold toys for many years. It was a blast, we had to try all the new games out so we could help people shop. But, that was 30 years ago and the world was a different place.

pojo 11-19-2010 05:03 AM

I went once NEVER NEVER AGAIN> nothing is worth that kind of hassle.

Rebecca VLQ 11-19-2010 05:05 AM

I went to Joanne's one year. It was fun because crafters are different frenzy shoppers than say, Wal Mart frenzy shoppers. I don't know that I "need" anything though...

chiaraquilts 11-19-2010 05:12 AM

I stay home and play with my grandkids- but my son-in-law HAS to find at least one big bargain every year, I think it is a personal challenge for him. The good thing is that he tells me about the online bargains, so I don't have to go out into the craziness!

joan_quilts 11-19-2010 05:21 AM

I did it once too, and NEVER, EVER again! This year, I am watching my granddaughter while her mommy goes shopping! Yee-haw for her and getting around those crazies! LOL

I think I will have more fun! Besides, I like to start decorating on that day for Christmas!

moonangel12 11-19-2010 05:23 AM

I might venture out late in the day just to get out of the house, but I've only done that once when DH was fishing, before I had kids. Now, there is not a chance. My mom wants to go to Hallmark in a neighboring town, so we'll see how that goes. I have quite a bit of anxiety issues when it comes to large crowds so it is just not my cup of tea. I don't even like going to Costco or WalMart on the weekends! My MIL and her sister go every year so I will usually write down a couple things that I am hoping to get - if they see it, great, if not, no biggie. I have never gone with them at the crack of dawn and don't plan on it!

hcarpanini 11-19-2010 05:24 AM

I stay as far away from the madness as possible. Usually in my studio quilting!