Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you freaking out getting ready for the holidays? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-freaking-out-getting-ready-holidays-t168890.html)

Greenheron 11-20-2011 09:17 PM

No "freaking out" anymore. I gave it up for Advent. Emmanuel is alwayswith His people.

tallchick 11-21-2011 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by nancy59 (Post 4694908)
I wasn't until last night when I found out my husband fell down a mountain, and will need surgery. He will be off his feet for 2 months, guess that leaves me to plan and follow thru on everything for the holidays.

I hope he recovers quickly :(- Sending good thoughts your way!!!

After 4 years I have gotten DH to finally see things from a more "practical" standpoint-I wish he would understand that I do not need or want anything, I have him what more could I need or want!!!! Holidays are about spending time with loved ones and presents for the kids (within reason).............I am hoping this year will be less stressful since I am no longer working 55 hrs a week in addition to doing the books for our business; I may have time to shop and be more "creative" in my wrapping of gifts.

QuiltE 11-21-2011 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by tallchick (Post 4706808)
I wish he would understand that I do not need or want anything, I have him what more could I need or want!!!!

................ fabric for the stash, a new sewing machine, sewing classes, time to sew, fabric storage ............. oh a quilter's list could be endless!!! :)

That's sweet that you recognize what a great DH you have ... kind of refreshing for all the times we hear negatives to about a DH!

luce321 11-21-2011 06:03 PM

I'm not freaking out, but I don't have the interest in doing things for Christmas that I used to. I really love the holidays and think that its just that I don't have the energy that I once had. I have cooked so many holiday dinners over the years, baked fruit cakes, etc., and really enjoyed it, but now I'm going to allow my daughters to take over. I will be going to my daughter's home for Thanksgiving and bringing a casserole and a pie. Hope everyone has a happy Thanksgiving.

MadQuilter 11-21-2011 07:57 PM

I gave up all that happy ho-ho crap a loooooong time ago. So my freaking out only happens when the occasional well-meaning yutz tries to convince me to change my ways. I think Ebeneezer and his entire flock of ghosts would have a hard time convincing me.

Missysgottohelp 11-21-2011 08:21 PM

I have simplified our holidays. I got so tired of all the crazy shopping, spending more than I could afford and the headaches. To me the holidays should be about being with your family. I shutter to think of all the gifts that I spent so much time looking for and all the money I spent only to find that "It's not my taste" or they get rid of it not long after the holiday. I now get small things or I donate money to a charity in their name. I enjoy the holidays so much more now. I really enjoy PIF's at Christmas, like buying the person behind me coffee, taking homemade cookies to some elderly folks that don't have family or sending a Christmas card to someone unexpectedly.

luvTooQuilt 11-21-2011 08:29 PM

No freakin out here..

rusty quilter 11-21-2011 09:08 PM

Not feeling stressed here either. I have chosen this to be the Christmas to return to basics. I have made 3 lap quilts (one for each couple) and a set of pillow cases for the grand kids. I will bake not because I "have" to, but because I enjoy the baking. All in all, I feel very blessed, and hope to pass that feeling onto others in my family.

Rhonda 11-21-2011 09:12 PM

Originally Posted by nancy59 (Post 4694908)
I wasn't until last night when I found out my husband fell down a mountain, and will need surgery. He will be off his feet for 2 months, guess that leaves me to plan and follow thru on everything for the holidays.

Sorry to hear this! Saying a prayer for him. Hope everything goes smoothly! glad it wasn't any worse!

Rhonda 11-21-2011 09:16 PM

We don't do alot for holidays anymore. I am having a Thanksgiving dinner for 2 of my 3 kids and their families but I only cook the turkey and make my favorite homemade bread. Everyone else brings the rest. And I make the bread on Wed so all I have to do is set the table and stick the bird in the oven.
Christmas my son has us all there. I do my homemade bread again and unless I decide I want to do some thing more that is all. We don't do presents anymore. I give the grandkids money and that is the end of our gift giving. I'm all for making it easy to enjoy!