Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are you older than dirt??? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-older-than-dirt-t164496.html)

mythreesuns 10-30-2011 03:21 PM

My Dad is cleaning out my grandmother's house (she died in December) and he brought me an old Royal Crown Cola bottle. In the bottle top was a stopper with a bunch of holes in it.. I knew immediately what it was, but my daughter had no idea. She thought they had tried to make it a salt shaker or something. I knew it as the bottle that sat on the end of the ironing board to 'sprinkle' clothes with because we didn't have steam irons. Man, I am old.

How many do you remember?

Head lights dimmer switches on the floor.

Ignition switches on the dashboard.

Pant leg clips for bicycles without chain guards.

Soldering irons you heat on a gas burner.

Using hand signals for cars without turn signals.

Older Than Dirt Quiz :
Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about
Ratings at the bottom.

1.Candy cigarettes

2.Coffee shops with tableside juke boxes

3.Home milk delivery in glass bottles

4. Party lines on the telephone

5.Newsreels before the movie

6.TV test patterns that came on at night after the last show and were there until TV shows started again in the morning. (there were only 3 channels [if you were fortunate])

7.Peashooters

8. Howdy Doody

9. 45 RPM records

10.Hi-fi's

11. Metal ice trays with lever

12. Blue flashbulb

13.Cork popguns

14. Studebakers

15. Wash tub wringers

If you remembered 0-3 = You're still young
If you remembered 3-6 = You are getting older
If you remembered 7-10 = Don't tell your age,
If you remembered

11-15 =You're older than dirt!

I might be older than dirt but those memories are some of the Best Parts of my Life.

Oh so true... I would so love to see kids now days (even most adults) live this way for a month..well even just a week!!!!

Up North 10-30-2011 03:24 PM

I am older than dirt!!

Crqltr 10-30-2011 03:24 PM

oh yeah..I'm old! Although I did not use all of the above I remember them all and used most!

AlwaysQuilting 10-30-2011 03:26 PM

I'm older than dirt too.
How about felt circle poodle skirts?
Butch wax?
A colored screen (blue at the top, green at the bottom, clear in the middle) to put in front of the black and white tv screen?
Tooth powder?
Hard cake mascara that you needed to moisten and make a paste then rub a brush in it?

QuiltnNan 10-30-2011 03:26 PM

i'm older than dirt, too. thanks for sharing

Lisanne 10-30-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting
I'm older than dirt too.
How about felt circle poodle skirts?
Butch wax?

What on Earth is butch wax? I hate to tell you the image it conjures up.

I'm older than dirt just by a hair (got 11), though I only remembered one item on your personal list, the one before the quiz.

bkb 10-30-2011 03:32 PM

butch wax was before Brylcream

AlwaysQuilting 10-30-2011 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Lisanne

I'm older than dirt just by a hair (got 11), though I only remembered one item on your personal list, the one before the quiz.

Butch wax was used to make the front hair of a flat top haircut stand up. It was in a push up tube and one of my brothers used it for years.

scraphq 10-30-2011 03:36 PM

Really older than dirt here!

ptquilts 10-30-2011 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by AlwaysQuilting

Originally Posted by Lisanne

Butch wax was used to make the front hair of a flat top haircut stand up. It was in a push up tube and one of my brothers used it for years.

how about a bottle of Wildroot Cream Oil? remember your dad having that in the bathroom?