Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Are You Older Than Dirt? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/you-older-than-dirt-t248122.html)

tessagin 06-09-2014 07:33 AM

Fast food in our house was if we got up late for school, we were handed peanut butter or butter on a slice of bread and it was folded as we ran out the door. my brother dropped his in the dirt couple of times and just tore that part off or flicked the dirt off and kept on going.

QuiltnNan 06-09-2014 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin (Post 6751444)
Fast food in our house was if we got up late for school, we were handed peanut butter or butter on a slice of bread and it was folded as we ran out the door. my brother dropped his in the dirt couple of times and just tore that part off or flicked the dirt off and kept on going.

and that little bit of dirt didn't kill us, did it?

Geri B 06-09-2014 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by earthwalker (Post 6750616)
One under "older than dirt"........the only thing contemporary about this woman is the fact when I look in the mirror in the morning "Yoda" looks back:).

Oh, that's who that is living in my mirror...

Rember curling irons that were heated on the gas cooking stove.....if too hot;hair singed!

Carol34446 06-09-2014 09:14 AM

Older than dirt here, bought 45's and life was so good back then when I look at the mess we have today. Of course there are good things about today too, but those were good times.

Jingle 06-09-2014 09:26 AM

I just turned 69 and remember all of the things on that list. Life was so much simpler then. My Grandkids can't believe all the different things we did not have. Ages 11 -27.

IBQUILTIN 06-09-2014 11:32 AM

Yup, older than dirt!!!! But what fond memories they are. I even remember playing outside until the streetlights came on. And OH BOY you better make a run for it or you'll be in trouble. Anybody remember kick-the-can?

Halo 06-09-2014 01:14 PM

Yep! I am one of the older than dirt people too. I remember every one of them. Also kick-the-can, five & dime store (my favorite place as a kid), Sen Sen breath refreshments, stomping on bottle caps to make our shoes tap shoes. Oh how I miss those days. I still have 45 & 78 records & a player for them plus 8-tracks & a player for them. When one of my G-sons' was about 8 (now 25) was in my sewing room learning to sew, he was talking about his music. I ask him if he wanted to hear some of the music I listened to as a kid. I pulled out my old 45's & he said "WOW G-ma, I've never seen CD's that big before." What a chuckle I got & of course, I had to pull out the 78's too. Our oldest DD says we are still in the Flintstones era. LOL

madamekelly 06-09-2014 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 6750514)
but do you remember Rolls Canardly's?

Yup, rode in them most of my childhood. There were seven of us kids. (For those of you who have no clue, a "Rolls Canardly" is an automobile that rolls down one hill, and can hardly get up the next!)

None of you mentioned my favorite TV show "The Red Skelton Show".

teacherbailey 06-09-2014 03:55 PM

I am not only older than dirt but the 6th graders that I teach think that I was extremely poor as well.....because I didn't have a TV in my bedroom until about 8th grade. And all three TV's in the house at that point were black and white. Oh-----what is Butch Wax? For mustaches, perhaps? It's the only one I didn't recognize on the list....

HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA! Being old has its advantages!!!!!

teacherbailey 06-09-2014 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by cizzors (Post 6750670)
Since when is 51 older then dirt?!

I'm 51 also and that list made perfect sense to me....but I am a city girl raised by a small town mom and a country dad. I think that helped on the list.