Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/)
-   -   Your opinion of Direct tv, please? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/general-chit-chat-non-quilting-talk-f7/your-opinion-direct-tv-please-t302364.html)

JustAbitCrazy 01-18-2019 03:20 PM

Your opinion of Direct tv, please?

We're considering cancelling cable and getting a Direct tv dish instead. For those of you who have Direct tv, what do you like and dislike about it? Thanks for helping us decide.

QuiltnNan 01-18-2019 03:41 PM

the contract with cancellation penalties by Direct Tv and the local franchise rep office. when the weather is bad, it goes out. if you like to watch different shows in different rooms, you can't. if you are watching the same show in two rooms, there's a lag in one of them so it echoes. I'll never get Direct again!

quiltsRfun 01-18-2019 04:53 PM

The biggest problem we had was no TV when the weather was bad. We were able to watch different shows in different rooms but we might have had a different system.

JJBlaine 01-18-2019 05:05 PM

I severely dislike directTV. In addition to the signal going out every time a little rain comes down, I am now on my third receiver in 4 months for what they are now calling a "known issue" that is unresolved, and "maybe the will have a patch in another month or so. In the meantime, the picture keeps freezing up, and most of the shows I attempt to record are unplayable due to some error.

Also, once it is installed, you are locked in to a two year contract, unless you want to pay over $700 in cancellation fees, and they do not honor their special rates or offers. My mother was going to get uVerse. Direct TV promised her a discounted rate for one year and a gift card if she kept their service. They locked her into a new 2 year contract, then refused to send her the gift card, and raised her discounted rate after one month.

Also, I loathe the program guide. It has more listings for paid on demand shows than what is actually on the air at any given moment. I have to scroll thru pages and pages of nonsense no matter how many channels I delete from my custom guide.

I miss uVerse so much!!!

dunster 01-18-2019 05:07 PM

I had satellite TV once when cable was unavailable. It worked okay (except when rain or snow was interfering), but at that time they couldn't provide good internet service. That has probably improved since then, but if you want internet from the same provider, be sure to check to see what they can offer in terms of speed and reliability.

LavenderBlue 01-18-2019 05:30 PM

Maybe it varies by location. It is the very best here in southeast Georgia, nothing comes close. I could do a commercial for them!

tesspug 01-18-2019 05:34 PM

We have direct, because it came with a bundle of Centurylink internet. We have no other choice of internet. It is a two-year contract and the second year it will go up to $100 a month. They had to put the dish on the ground to get a signal and that puts it at risk of damage which we will have to pay for. Hopefully by the time the contract is up we will have fiber optics from the electric company.

Macybaby 01-18-2019 05:38 PM

Turned out for the few channels DH and I were very interested in, we had to pay for the more expensive package and got loads and loads of channels we had no interest in. Decided long ago that it wasn't worth the money to watch only a handful of shows each week.

We've typically lived rural so without Dish or Direct TV, we get no broadcast TV. Have not had it for about 10 years now, and really don't miss it. Can get any news or weather from the Internet anyway. We have Amazon Prime and have lots of movies to watch, and would rather pay $3.99 to "rent" the few we are interested in, since we don't watch them very often. Was never good for bad weather since clouds interfered with the signal.

crafty3236 01-18-2019 05:40 PM

right on speed of internet cause it stinks really stinks!!!they will tell you that they have one of the best in internet service, but neglect to tell you that if you are right there next to the sub station for the internet/wifi you will have great service for the internet/wifi.... for instance we are about 6 blocks from it here in our home an it dropped a lot

Mousie 01-18-2019 08:59 PM

didn't read any responses - didn't need to. My dd used to work
for them and could have had their basic pkg. for free. She said
no thanks and kept "the other guy"...starts with a 'd' too ;)