Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion of Direct tv, please?

Your opinion of Direct tv, please?

We're considering cancelling cable and getting a Direct tv dish instead. For those of you who have Direct tv, what do you like and dislike about it? Thanks for helping us decide.

Blog Entries
    the contract with cancellation penalties by Direct Tv and the local franchise rep office. when the weather is bad, it goes out. if you like to watch different shows in different rooms, you can't. if you are watching the same show in two rooms, there's a lag in one of them so it echoes. I'll never get Direct again!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Blog Entries
    The biggest problem we had was no TV when the weather was bad. We were able to watch different shows in different rooms but we might have had a different system.

I severely dislike directTV. In addition to the signal going out every time a little rain comes down, I am now on my third receiver in 4 months for what they are now calling a "known issue" that is unresolved, and "maybe the will have a patch in another month or so. In the meantime, the picture keeps freezing up, and most of the shows I attempt to record are unplayable due to some error.

Also, once it is installed, you are locked in to a two year contract, unless you want to pay over $700 in cancellation fees, and they do not honor their special rates or offers. My mother was going to get uVerse. Direct TV promised her a discounted rate for one year and a gift card if she kept their service. They locked her into a new 2 year contract, then refused to send her the gift card, and raised her discounted rate after one month.

Also, I loathe the program guide. It has more listings for paid on demand shows than what is actually on the air at any given moment. I have to scroll thru pages and pages of nonsense no matter how many channels I delete from my custom guide.

I miss uVerse so much!!!

I had satellite TV once when cable was unavailable. It worked okay (except when rain or snow was interfering), but at that time they couldn't provide good internet service. That has probably improved since then, but if you want internet from the same provider, be sure to check to see what they can offer in terms of speed and reliability.

Maybe it varies by location. It is the very best here in southeast Georgia, nothing comes close. I could do a commercial for them!

We have direct, because it came with a bundle of Centurylink internet. We have no other choice of internet. It is a two-year contract and the second year it will go up to $100 a month. They had to put the dish on the ground to get a signal and that puts it at risk of damage which we will have to pay for. Hopefully by the time the contract is up we will have fiber optics from the electric company.
    I promise not to buy any more fabric until I see something I really like. Or it's on sale. Or I think it might match something.

Turned out for the few channels DH and I were very interested in, we had to pay for the more expensive package and got loads and loads of channels we had no interest in. Decided long ago that it wasn't worth the money to watch only a handful of shows each week.

We've typically lived rural so without Dish or Direct TV, we get no broadcast TV. Have not had it for about 10 years now, and really don't miss it. Can get any news or weather from the Internet anyway. We have Amazon Prime and have lots of movies to watch, and would rather pay $3.99 to "rent" the few we are interested in, since we don't watch them very often. Was never good for bad weather since clouds interfered with the signal.
    My name is Cathy - and I'm addicted to old sewing machines and their attachments.

right on speed of internet cause it stinks really stinks!!!they will tell you that they have one of the best in internet service, but neglect to tell you that if you are right there next to the sub station for the internet/wifi you will have great service for the internet/wifi.... for instance we are about 6 blocks from it here in our home an it dropped a lot

didn't read any responses - didn't need to. My dd used to work
    for them and could have had their basic pkg. for free. She said
    no thanks and kept "the other guy"...starts with a 'd' too
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.
    It is a blessing, to be a blessing !
    ~Quilters are warm people!!!~
    cheese brings parties together

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...HJV/weight.png

This is so overwhelmingly negative, we won't be making any changes. Thank you all for saving us frustration, money and sanity. I knew I could count on my friends here for honesty. Have a creative day!

JustabitCrazy- we have Direct TV with that dish. I hate it. Very fussy when the weather is bad. My big complaint though, is all the cable companies charging way too much. We watch almost nothing on cable except the news. I would get rid of it but my husband wouldn't be happy w/o the news. We watch Netflix, Prime, and MLB so we are paying a fortune when you add it all up. Yuck.

I had Direct TV once and swore I would never have satellite TV again. Every time the weather was bad it went out. We finally switched to Roku after years with cable tv. It's cheaper than cable but I don't like it as well. I liked the price for cable even less.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

We stream our TV through the Internet. I highly advise this solution if you have high speed internet. We don't have cable or any other provider to hold us hostage with rate increases etc. It's been a great change and we'll never go back.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

I had a billing experience with Direct TV. After hours spent with customer service for months, they still didn't get it right. I paid the penalty (less than $700, but still a lot) and got Cox. Cox is slower; their guide isn't as good, but TV service is more reliable than Direct and customer service is excellent.

I switched over to Dish.....Dish also goes out at times due to bad weather but not as much as directv...I can record two shows at a time and hv dish on four tvs....also directv starts out with a lower price, then gets more expensive than dish.....

My DD had it and hated it and got something else. I have several neighbors that got it and hated it so much that they have taken down the dishes. We have [email protected] U Verse for years and love it. We bundle TV and Internet.

My DD has it and likes it because it saved her $70.00 a month over COX. No weather problems but she lives is a city just east of San Diego. She doesn't care for the size of the dish they installed on her deck (almost twice the size of her neighbor's).
    My friend ordered it when she went to the San Diego County Fair - they had a "Fair" special. But they did not honor it when the first bill came. She had a written contract and they still didn't honor it. So be aware there can be pitfalls.

Years ago we had Direct. We went with the cable company here. Their internet is great. Otherwise I would have to have satelite, very bad. They are getting the price up to 200.00 a month for expanded basic and basic on two other TVs. For the internet I will just have to pay it.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    We, at one time, considered going to Direct, instead of the Comcast we had. When we tried to find out what it would cost a month, we kept getting told, by many different sellers and providers, that they could not tell us until it was hooked up to see what it would cost. Uh, NO! We finally gave up, got rid of Comcast for everything but internet, spent $50 to get and indoor/outdoor antenna to put on the house, and pay for Netflix too. We have 14 channels to choose from, and no more crazy cable bills.

BTW- Did you know that the FCC requires all broadcasters to allow a free signal? We did not either, until a friend told us. We have also roku stick to amplify the signal ($39). Now there is always something to watch, and we do not miss cable.
    Last edited by madamekelly; 01-19-2019 at 05:49 PM.
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

QuiltNan....we also have Direct TV but we can watch two different shows in two different rooms at the same time...wonder why you can't? I'll agree about the lag echo though.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
    the contract with cancellation penalties by Direct Tv and the local franchise rep office. when the weather is bad, it goes out. if you like to watch different shows in different rooms, you can't. if you are watching the same show in two rooms, there's a lag in one of them so it echoes. I'll never get Direct again!
    We don't have those issues with D-TV. We are able to watch different channels. Occasionally, it will go out due to weather conditions but usually short term (less than 10 minutes). We upgraded to the wireless system so I can move TV to any wall now. Nice for the bedroom TV as it used to be limited to the wall with the cable connection.

Service is most likely area related. Our local area has been great.

We could only get Dish Network out here in the boondocks, but we just found out that high speed internet will be available here very soon. So we are planning to hook up with them and ditch the dish. Service has been so-so, but price goes up yearly with poorer viewing choices.
    I agree with Rhonda K that problems are probably area-related.

We have DirectTV and we are quite happy with it. We had DISH and when a moose destroyed the dish it was replaced by a smaller dish and we were told that is what they install in Alaska now--no choice of size. On a clear day we would only get local stations---we were paying over $80 a month to see nothing. Finally, we changed to DirectTV and maybe get a little pixilation that lasts for a second and then back to normal. Doesn't bother me to have a 2 year contract. This first year our payments are low. We get so many programs now we never got with DISH--Animal Planet, OAN, Hallmark, etc.

We have had Directtv for more than 20 years, never had any problems , of course we live in CA and the weather is mostly sunny, the reps are very helpful, if we experience any problems they gives us freebies.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast