Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Priority Mail Boxes from USPS >

Priority Mail Boxes from USPS

Priority Mail Boxes from USPS

Old 12-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Power Poster

I found mailing packages first class is cheaper then priority mail and it goes on the same truck and gets the same 'priority'. Media and 3rd class mail goes last on the truck.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:26 PM
Power Poster

The flat rate boxes are different then priority boxes? I think I'm getting a flat rate box and it ends up costing more to mail it then the flat rate charge! And it's already sealed and ready to mail so no way I'm going to redo it in another box. Always ask for a flat rate box but sometimes that cost more than 1st class. Crazy.
Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
I found mailing packages first class is cheaper then priority mail and it goes on the same truck and gets the same 'priority'. Media and 3rd class mail goes last on the truck.
First class is for 13 oz or less
Old 12-15-2009, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
The flat rate boxes are different then priority boxes? I think I'm getting a flat rate box and it ends up costing more to mail it then the flat rate charge! And it's already sealed and ready to mail so no way I'm going to redo it in another box. Always ask for a flat rate box but sometimes that cost more than 1st class. Crazy.
You can use any box, take it to the counter and ask what way is the cheapest to send it. If Priority is cheapest, they just stamp Priority on the box. I have had them do this for me many times.
Old 12-15-2009, 07:12 PM
Power Poster

With a Flat Rate Priority Box, if it fits, it ships (to USA addresses) - there is a weight limit, but it's fairly high.

Other mail is based on weight, size of package, and distance.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:38 PM
Power Poster

I ran into this with Secret Santa :hunf: I had used a box from work, not a Post office box, nothing priority in it, on it or around it. Took it into the local Post Office... the clerk started to rip the box open, asking "Is this a priority box turned inside out ?" when she saw that it wasn't and I told her NO , she tells me well the box is partially opened now, you need to retape it .. uuhh HUH? Do I look like I carry a tape gun in my back pocket ? :hunf: :hunf: I paid for the shipping and left.. My person received it and I did not retape it
Old 12-15-2009, 09:04 PM
Power Poster

I will say that the people that work at our local post office are nice - and they will even put extra tape on a package if necessary

The only time I had an issue was when one item out of seven arrived broken. I only wanted damages for the one item and this clerk (I know she was new) insisted that I had to return everything. I went to the next-up-the-line post office and was able to make a claim for just that one item.

It is an effort to make an insurance claim - the Post Office does not make it easy - one of the "cute" things was - the person making the claim and with the item has to present the post office with the ORIGINAL proof of insurance and the item - I guess the sticker on the box isn't adequate. It did pay - eventually -
The original proof of insurance is with the sender, for crying out loud.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by amma
My package was late getting to a board member because it was returned, and I had to pay TWICE to mail it...
When this happened to me, I had mailed it from the post office. I returned there to find out why the package was returned and filled out a form to get my original postage back. I had to ask for my money back first, or I would have been out of luck.

Let me just add that if I am going towards the next town, I prefer to do my mailings from there. The service you get is totally determined by the postmaster, and some are just jerks.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:10 AM

Thanks for the info. I have Priority boxes and shipped in them, my son used E-bay and got boxes of boxes. I've found that the other UPSide/down company will take them and the postage is very similar. Maybe to recycle you have to use Brown.
Old 12-16-2009, 04:28 AM

i have a 10 pound scale from the post office,i bought. it really helps. i also click and ship from home. no more waiting in line for me! the weight limit is 70 pounds. Flat rate is cheaper if it is heavy. i re-use all boxes. i like recycling them.
there is a list of prices and the weights ..

http://www.usps.com/prices/priority-mail-prices.htm