Problem with flip top cans

Old 08-18-2012, 01:35 PM

Default Problem with flip top cans

Recently I have found leakage on the tops of 2 cans in my pantry that had flip tabs that you pulled to open - the can one was a soup and the other fruit. Of course I threw those cans away and checked the rest of the cans very carefully but tjey were OK. (Realized later that I should have kept the labels and sent them to the manufacturers with a letter of complaint) I usually stack just one can on top of another so I went changed it so only solid topped cans are on the bottom row and flip tabbed ones on top. As it is only DH and I now I don't buy in bulk or keep a packed pantry but I'll be checking all the cans each time I go into the pantry.
Anyone one else have this problem?

Last edited by May in Jersey; 08-18-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:20 PM

I have never had that problem, but I do have a problem getting them open. I always pull the ring off. My son laughs at me daily for it.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:27 PM

Another problem with cans lately is that they dent so easily. I make sure I don't choose dented cans but when I get them home every once in awhile I'll find a dented can. I bring them back to the supermarket on my next visit. Can sides are so much thinner now and just moving around in the plastic grocery bags does it. DH helps me with food shopping lately and he trys to pack the bags to keep this from happening. I wish we could go back to using paper bags because it is easier to line the items up inside of them and things tended to stay in place.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 08-18-2012 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 02:46 PM

I haven't had the issue with the leaking cans. That's interesting.

Have you considered making your own sacks to take to the store? That might be nice, especially for those heavier items, and you could make them with a flat bottom to just the right size to pack cans in.
Old 08-18-2012, 03:02 PM

I have never had a problem with that either. I do try to take my own bags to the stores because many of the places here in Southern Cal are charging 5 cents a bag if you use the plastic bags. I am good with recycling the bags so prefer to take my own so I don't have to bother with recycling.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:11 PM

Good idea about bring my own bags to supermarket. I have plenty of them but don't always remember to bring them with me grocery shopping. Think I'll put a brown paper bag inside each of the cloth bags so items don't move around too much, that should solve the dented can problem. I get the brown papers when I shop at local fruit and veggie market, we fill them with junk mail for our recycling pickups. One of DH's teenage jobs was to pack grocery bags so he's good at it.

Last edited by May in Jersey; 08-18-2012 at 04:14 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

The metal in cans is getting pretty flimsy. What is with putting soup in cardboard/plastic packages too? I just don't trust them.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

Sometimes I almost crush the plastic water bottles just try to open them. The plastic is much thinner or I'm much stronger. I think it is the plastic.
Old 08-18-2012, 06:57 PM

I agree the plastic water bottles are getting thinner. Also the screw off top is getting smaller. I have trouble gripping when I am trying to open it. I stopped buying them.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:54 AM

You are lucky your DH is there to pack the bags. I take my own bags but have to watch like a hawk: they like to use the plastic bags first and then put them into my bags AND they put all the heavy stuff into one bag and the light stuff in one or several others. Maybe, I should start packing my own.