Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Projects for used greeting cards? >

Projects for used greeting cards?

Projects for used greeting cards?

Old 09-19-2017, 03:41 AM

I have cut off the front piece as long as it is not written on, cut the edges with pinking shears, punched a hole in them, and use them as tags on gifts the next year.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:59 AM

Hexie punches also at JoAnn's. Use your coupons!
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 AM

In 1954 I had my school children cut 3 inch circles from old Christmas cards, putting a nice "picture" right in the center of the circle. We laid a 3 inch triangle made of heavy cardboard, (not corrugated board) on the circle and bent up each side of the circle. Ten of the triangles were laid together, one pointing up and the next one down, and we stapled the tabs together. Staple the first on to the last one to create a circle of triangles. Next we stapled five of the triangles together with all the points facing in. That created a round. Made two of these rounds. Now we stapled the rounds of five to the top and bottom of the circle and had a lovely Christmas ball to give to their parents for Christmas.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:46 AM

When my DD was born I took a piece of clear mac-tac and cut out shapes from the fronts of cards, put them in a fun design and then covered with more mac-tac and this collage hung in her room.
I have also done similar smaller placemats like this and the kids can add their names before applying the top mac-tac. (I don't even know if that product is still called that, but it is clear vinyl that comes with paper, you peel the paper off to reveal the glue)
Old 09-20-2017, 08:49 AM
Power Poster

My mother used to cut up Christmas cards to make tags for presents for the next year. I have continued this tradition.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
When my DD was born I took a piece of clear mac-tac and cut out shapes from the fronts of cards, put them in a fun design and then covered with more mac-tac and this collage hung in her room.
I have also done similar smaller placemats like this and the kids can add their names before applying the top mac-tac. (I don't even know if that product is still called that, but it is clear vinyl that comes with paper, you peel the paper off to reveal the glue)
What you call mac-tac there, is called "ConTac" paper here, even though it is not paper.
Old 09-22-2017, 03:56 PM
Power Poster

some great ideas ladies. please keep them coming
just got a lot of junk mail today, and a post card on the card. great for my hexies
Old 02-16-2018, 04:10 AM

I had a box of old greeting cards and our children spent many hours playing with them. They’d lay them all over the bed and floor and take turns picking their favorite ones. This was 1970’s when they didn’t have electronics LOL.
Senior Citizens and Church groups sometimes take them, cut them apart and affix them to card stock to make new cards for sale.
Old 02-17-2018, 12:14 AM

You can find the punches at Hobby Lobby. I have three different sizes.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:59 PM

I will cut the front off, and if it's not written on, use it as a quick little notecard. I will then stick it in an envelope that might only have had my name (or "Mom") written on it, cover the writing with cute stickers, and mail it off.

If the back of the front side has writing, I'll glue it to new cardstock to make a "frame" for a new card.

When my kids were little, I'd cut up cards into puzzle pieces and let them put them back together.