Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
the public bathroom....(funny) >

the public bathroom....(funny)

the public bathroom....(funny)

Old 02-18-2010, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

laughing my slightly damp butt off :D:D:D:D:D
Old 02-18-2010, 12:51 PM

Very funny and so true.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:01 PM

:lol: :lol: :oops:

i was next door and i almost asked you to pass the toilet paper under the wall, but i heard you yell 'occupied' and then the flusher went off. i was afraid to talk to you. :lol: :mrgreen:
Old 02-18-2010, 04:44 PM

I'm not throwing away my gum wrappers any more.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:06 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It's so sad that we've all been through this sooooo many times!
Old 02-18-2010, 07:48 PM

I don't know about switching to Japanese-style toilets! You have to squat down with your legs separated, support your weight in this position, and avoid your slacks (which are crumpled between your legs. If you are in a skirt, you have to make sure it doesn't trail into the toilet. These toilets smell to high-heaven because most people miss and pee all over them, so the odor adds to your discomfort. Some types of squat toilets in older buildings have the toilet up on a high platform with a tank. Since you face the tank, if you are taller than five feet, your knees won't fit between you and the tank.
One of my extremely tall friends couldn't even close the door! Also add the frustration of Japanese people knocking on the door (even if they know you are in there) and you having to knock back each time.
Old 02-18-2010, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Gaijin
I don't know about switching to Japanese-style toilets! You have to squat down with your legs separated, support your weight in this position, and avoid your slacks (which are crumpled between your legs. If you are in a skirt, you have to make sure it doesn't trail into the toilet. These toilets smell to high-heaven because most people miss and pee all over them, so the odor adds to your discomfort. Some types of squat toilets in older buildings have the toilet up on a high platform with a tank. Since you face the tank, if you are taller than five feet, your knees won't fit between you and the tank.
One of my extremely tall friends couldn't even close the door! Also add the frustration of Japanese people knocking on the door (even if they know you are in there) and you having to knock back each time.
It is an experience that I think everyone should experience at least once in their life time. Even funnier (right) are the ones in the parks, what we call an outhouse. :lol: :lol: :lol: I have to been to Japan on 3 different occasions and it sure did build up my leg muscles. Some days I just had to look for the handicapped ones.

It was funny one time, we went to a big fish market (I think in Hachinohe in the Aomori Prefecture) and my DH had to use the facilities. It was the first time for him. :lol: :lol: :lol: He went in and didn't know which way to face. Of course, he faced the wrong way. We had a good laugh. Here is a picture of one we visited. I thought they looked like upside down urinals set in the floor.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-12539.jpe  
Old 02-19-2010, 09:53 AM

this has been a most enlightening thread.

45 years ago on a trip to italy we used the 'facilities' in the coliseum. i used that term loosely. in the ladies place, not a room, there was a row of exposed holes in the floor. on either side of each hole there was a foot-shaped place to set your foot. the rest was up to you.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:04 PM

We once went to a national park in Japan and visited the facilities. There were two blocks to put your feet on and when you flushed, the whole floor opened like an accordion and water came out from every direction. My daughter was small and stood there completely fascinated and maybe a bit afraid she might fall in at the wrong time!
Old 02-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Power Poster

This has been a learning experience for me, I haven't experienced all of the first and none of the others. Thank God for the good ol U.S. of A. I have never wanted to visit another country and now I know why.