Pumpkin

Old 09-12-2011, 06:00 AM

Can you please help , my 3 year old grandy her heart set on being a pumpkin for Halloween , I havent a clue about a pattern or what fabric to use for this , and of course Grams is expected to make this . Were do I start . Cathy
Old 09-12-2011, 06:10 AM

http://www.marthastewart.com/photoga...tumes#slide_21

http://www.ehow.com/video_4990966_ma...halloween.html
Old 09-12-2011, 06:15 AM

Try dyeing a large pillowcase orange, sew green leaves and a drawstring around the open end. Make leg holes and armholes in the bottom and side seams, maybe sew the corners at the bottom a bit rounder. Put GD in it, gather around loosely at the top and stuff scraps of batting around her to fill it out! Just be careful to keep neck opening loose to be safe. orange tights and shirt under it will keep her warm ( hmmm what IS the temp in Australia on halloween?).
Old 09-12-2011, 07:06 AM

If you use orange felt, you will not need batting, it will form by itself.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:59 AM

Simplicity or Mc Calls has patterns for pumpkin costumes. They're pretty easy to make with orange felt & some green for leaves. With the left over felt, you can also make her a matching trick or treat bag.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:39 PM

Thank you I am off to the fabric shop with some idea of what to look for now . Cathy
Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 AM

I was a pumpkin when I was about 10 years old. my dad formed a big pumpkin shape out of chicken wire and I covered it in paper mache. We painted it orange with a jack o lantern face. It had a hole at the top for my head, at the bottom for my legs (even tho it came down almost to my knees) and arm holes on the sides. I cut the mouth out and attached a pillowcase inside to hold the candy, like feeding the pumpkin. It was a great costume, but I managed to fall down a couple stairs at one of the houses and rolled half way to the street. My friend and I were laughing so hard after that, we had to just sit there for a few minutes to calm down before I could manage to get back up again. A halloween I'll never forget!!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:22 AM

The pillowcase idea......great.........calla
Old 10-11-2011, 12:51 PM
Banned

what about one of those orange lawn bags made to look like a pumpkin that you put your leaves in???
just stuff with shopping bags and give her a green hat!
Old 10-11-2011, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by kuseta
I was a pumpkin when I was about 10 years old. my dad formed a big pumpkin shape out of chicken wire and I covered it in paper mache. We painted it orange with a jack o lantern face. It had a hole at the top for my head, at the bottom for my legs (even tho it came down almost to my knees) and arm holes on the sides. I cut the mouth out and attached a pillowcase inside to hold the candy, like feeding the pumpkin. It was a great costume, but I managed to fall down a couple stairs at one of the houses and rolled half way to the street. My friend and I were laughing so hard after that, we had to just sit there for a few minutes to calm down before I could manage to get back up again. A halloween I'll never forget!!

:thumbup: :lol: :lol: :lol: