Puzzle box for mailing

Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 AM

Costco & Sams Club throw away so many sturdy boxes. I have used a heavy duty letter opener to make score lines on cardboard & folded my own homemade boxes. Just break one down that you have & make a pattern from it.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:43 AM

I ordered some cotton webbing in different colors for tote handles. About 40 yds total. I came in a pizza box.
Old 05-22-2011, 03:24 AM
Power Poster

if the box is sturdy and the correct size i use it- don't pay much attention to what was in it before- only what is going in it now. :)
Old 05-22-2011, 04:44 AM

I got fabric in a Rice Krispies box.
If it's the correct size, I reuse it.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by luckylindy333
We have had some really funny things happen at Christmas time when someone put something in a box that was not labeled as the item inside. The person thought they were getting something completely different than what they got, LOL.
that's our family, too. we never believed what the gift was until the box was opened :) :)
Old 05-22-2011, 06:14 AM

My Mom used to do the same thing at Christmas and birthdays. It was always fun trying to figure out what it was inside the box.

I was told at the post office once that you couldn't use boxes like that and if you did, they had to be wrapped with brown paper. It is good to know you can use other kinds of boxes and recycle them instead of trashing them. Sometimes it is a challenge to find a box and I really don't like having to pay for them at Walmart or places.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:34 AM

I will often break down a box and refold so the inside is out, (it's now brown or gray.) retape and fill. Good for the fussy USPS. (I have postal workers in my family and they say it is OK.):) However, it is almost always cheaper to mail in the flat rate boxes or envelopes. Weigh to make sure. Just my thought.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 AM

I mail a few books and rather than put them in a box, I wrap them in newspaper and then make a burrito with cardboard wrapped around them, then send in a poly mailer. I have used cereal boxes for the cardboard, although I mostly used corrugated.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:38 AM

Years ago I bought several quilt magazines on eBay. They came wrapped in plastic, then newspaper, then newsprint and held all together with duct tape. Had to chuckle at that one!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:14 AM

I have used tins too! With being in Canada, as long as I am mailing within Canada I can use basically anything I want to mal it in. If I am mailing to the States, there are a few more rules to follow. The plainer the package the better. Customs doesn't want any surprises I guess!